Bridge (Puente) Puerto Rico - Vieques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge (Puente) Puerto Rico - Vieques

What is your opinion regarding the proposed bridge between the island of Puerto Rico and the island of Vieques? What kind of priority do you think this project should have (if any): high, medium, low? What do you think about the nearly $500 million budget?

They're building a bridge? I heard from numerous news reports that there building a new ferry terminal in another East Coast town, so the travel time could decrease from what it already is from the ferry ride from Fajardo.

Anyway, my opinion on it is that it is a waste of money. (It's not $500 million, but around $40 million.) The money should be used to create medical centers, jobs, better schools, and other social benefits that the Viequenses need. I think they can manage a 20 minute ride to the large island, but I don't think they would like to live another day without medical care or jobs so they won't have to go to the "big" island.

Comment

Ecuajey

Actually different people are proposing both the new docks for the ferry in Yabucoa and the bridge. The docks, as you said, are being estimated between $40 - 50 million. The bridge's estimate is about $495 million.

As far as I know, it is not possible to bring a car in the current Vieques-Fajardo ferry unless you are planning to stay over 2 weeks. Do you think that the people of Vieques may want to find work in the mainland if there was a bridge? Could it bring more cash flow into Vieques once the NAVY is gone?

Comment

The Viequenses have been going onto the "big" island for decades, in search of jobs, due the economic stranglation of the Navy, regardless of a bridge between the islands.

I think the bridge is irrelevant. It has been proven through highways being built in rural areas in the Western side of PR that new access for urban areas brings the destruction of the natural resources and beauty. It also doesn't guarantee economic success for the area. Yeah, the numbers of monies being put into the area might seem convincing, but how much of that is actually going to the people and town instead of foreign owned consumer businesses and hotels?

The current ferry works just fine and the money should be put to use somewhere else for the people.

Comment

i think they shouldnt waste the money on a bridge. the ferry works just fine! they should use some of that money and get a bigger and better ferry where ppl can put thier cars in and also restore land in viques, culebra, and fajardo and make it into a parking lot, that way ppl wont have to spend $$ on "guaguas publicas" and when they come to pr, from vieques/culebra, they can shop and bring back their goods...
          spending $500 million on that is a waste...not to mention that they would have to pay a toll everytime they enter of leave it...besides whats the fun in a bridge.. ppl love getting on the ferry...i say spend the money on a better more efficient ferry

Comment

Originally posted by Ecuajey
            They're building a bridge? I heard from numerous news reports that there building a new ferry terminal in another East Coast town, so the travel time could decrease from what it already is from the ferry ride from Fajardo.

Anyway, my opinion on it is that it is a waste of money. (It's not $500 million, but around $40 million.) The money should be used to create medical centers, jobs, better schools, and other social benefits that the Viequenses need. I think they can manage a 20 minute ride to the large island, but I don't think they would like to live another day without medical care or jobs so they won't have to go to the "big" island.
            I totally agree with you they should pay more attention on the things that are important but unfortunate they like to just waste money on things that they dont really need..

Comment

Working...
            X