What is destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is destiny?

Is our fate pre-determined? Is there such a thing as destiny? Are we all programmed for what our life is to be? Or is life and death pure chance? Let's talk about it.
    Que Viva Puerto Rico Libre.

51st STATE = Puerto Rico Libre de
    INDEPENDENTISTAS
    That is OUR DESTINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by ABEJORRO (edited 27 October 1999).]

Comment

IDeJesus:
      I do not believe that anything is predetermined per se. Destiny is the path to fate. People make the mistake and think that there is only one path in life and that path has to be found to attain true happiness. I think that as long as you find one path, happiness is just around the corner.

Leave it to our friend Abejorro to bring politics into a discussion that has to do with the bigger picture that is life.

Comment

Destiny? As in pre-destination? Or as in pre-formationism?

The pathways that our lives follow are the result of complex, dynamic interactions between human intensions-purposes and circumstantial conditions. The interesting thing is that neither of these factors is truely independent of the other. The moves we make help shape our conditions, and our conditions feed directly and even unconsciously into the substance of our actions. Hence, we constantly and inevitably express the unfolding spirals that move inexhorably forward through revolutions that transform action into circumstance and circumstance back into action, ad infinitum. In other words (smile) we may influence the course of our lives, but like a rafter moving down a stream, the overall direction of our lives cannot ever be fully determined by our purposive activity.

[This message has been edited by Carlos.Marrero (edited 01 January 2000).]
        A map of the world that does not
        include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the
        one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity
        lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail.
        Progress is the realisation of Utopias.
        OSCAR WILDE

Comment

I used to believe in Carl Sagan, evolution and U.F.O’s. I was a teenager then, and anything with the aura of technology and a big name in science impressed me. Until years later, when I discovered the Bible, got a Masters in Science in Mechanical Engineering, and discovered that Sagan became so poetic in his documentaries because he smoked marihuana.

That said, I will say a few words on Destiny. Most, if not all religions, believe in a Fate, a Destiny. The notion of having your life set in stone and not being able to change anything that will happen contradicts the idea of Free Will. Then one naturally makes the question: why make any effort at all to be better? In some places like India, and the Middle East, if you help someone who is down and out you may be doing them a disservice, so therefore do not help them (the corollary of it, do not help the downcast).

Instead of going into the endless spirals of a feed-back loop of environment and genetics, the Bible starts the whole deal with a simple test: two perfects humans in a perfect place with only one rule – they could eat the fruits of all the trees of their forest except one. They were not raised by a dysfunctional family. They lacked nothing (abundant food, a tropical paradise). They were smart enough to name every animal in their forest. At the end they chose to change their happiness for a lie. How many people you know like them? They grow up in the best of families, yet they choose drugs, or a destructive relationship (things that are basically a LIE).

According to the Bible we human beings then have a Right to Choose. That Right (Derecho) does not mean that all the available choices are valid. People choose drugs over food everyday, self-destruction over self-preservation. That is why we have to Choose Right (Correcto). Right Choices mean that there are transcendent values above ourselves. That is one of the first things I learned in Science: you don’t trust in eyeball measurements, you trust in measurements using OBJECTIVE INSTRUMENTS. Similar to navigation, Columbus did not steer the Santa Maria on gut instincts alone, he had to rely on a magnetic compass and on astronomical measurements.

Thus, according to the Bible, humans have a Free Will, but to exercise that Free Will effectively humans have to depend on God to steer through their Choices. And the God of the Bible did not wait for humans to come around to the Choices to be made to ask him what to do, He preemptively manifested Himself to them and told them what to Choose. Case in point: God took two and half million slaves from Egypt, freed them, protected them, and gave them a Constitution to abide by in order to prosper as a New Nation (by the way, He made a Contract with that Nation to be under His Leadership). At the End of that Constitution He told that Nation: “This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” - Deuteronomy 30:19,20 History says that they chose to reject the Contract every time. History shows the results of their National Choices.

That is the Perfect Example. God has a Good Plan for a Nation. He presents that Plan to the Nation. The Nation refuses to follow that Plan. As a consequence the Nation never receives the full benefits of that Plan. Therefore, God has a Destiny He has planed for each human being. But the fulfillment of that Destiny depends on OUR DECISION.

------------------
          Manuel Alonso

Comment

I agree with Carlos and Jibaro. I believe destiny is based on the choices we have made. We have the free will to make our own choices and choose our own path. It is up to us to make our own "destiny".
            I would like an opinion in a related matter. Jibaro touched on this. If God is all knowing he must know what is going to happen to us every step of the way. How we are going to live our lives and how, when and where we are going to die, is this destiny?, having no control of anything in what happens to us. I have given a lot of thought about this and have come to my own conclusion. I believe God knows what is going to happen to us while we walk the road of life but he does not know the path we are going to take when we come to a fork. He knows what will happen at each of the paths in front of us but not which one we will take. Now the question I am now dealing with is, how come he does not know if he is all knowing? Aren't I questioning his power? I believe in God and have faith but it is not as strong as it used to be. I am just looking for answers like the rest of us. I am trying to find my way back so please don't be too harsh. Aren't we suppose to question our faith? I think it only makes it stronger. It seems like when one question gets answer a few more pop up.

Comment

Jibaro
              What a wonderful example of God's appreciation for the sovereignty of nations. You could learn from him.

Hoserp
              Scriptures and tradition affirm that God is all-knowing and all-powerful. The dimensions of this being, however, do not allow us to infer from his actions a "mind" or "purpose". What I mean is that the God you are imaginning is too human, and this is where your confusion comes from. You are projecting your mind-set and your values to him, when you should be acknowledging your inability to grasp what moves him to do as he does. God's response has always been " I am who I am, and I do what I please, and who are you to question me?".

The question of devine determination and freedom of will is one of the bitter contests that have shaped the course of Church history. Scriptures are not clear on how "hard" pre-destination is. Nor do they shed much light on what means allow for whatever degree of devine determination actually governs creation. In our culture we say that El Hombre propone, pero Dios dispone. Calvin believed, with some scriptural support, that the will of God expresses itself even in the decisions of individuals. (For instance, consider the way the Old Testament portrays God as operating invisibly in the background, influencing the decisions of rulers, so that his plan is realized. Kings that thought they were exercising their prerogatives, were actually simply the instruments of God. Or, another example is the claim that those that accept or reject the sacrifice of Christ do so because the Spirit of God moves them to do so, whatever freedom they may think they have, and not withstanding the fact that an invitation has been extended to them. Boldly, the assertion is made that one one cannot accept "salvation", unless the "Spirit" moves him to. Indeed, the subset of those that are to be saved are described as a group of people that, although gathered throughout human history, does not grow, but rather moves towards some number which has already been set from the beginning of time.) According to Calvin's interpretation, God has a plan and the World moves inexhorably in harmony with that plan. God uses seemingly contradictory forces to shape the course of that World, even introducing agents that "feel" they are free (e.g., Lucifer, ever one of us) and deliberately oppose what they see as God's will. He does it "for his glory". Resistance is a means to a God that has not just "oversight", but infinite control (sovereignty), over everything his hands have made. We simply fail to see how "free will" and "purposiveness" can serve another being because in our condition as humans, these things mark the boundaries between us and impose limits on us. But to a God that is All in All, everything, consciousness and will included, is but an instrument. This is truly a force beyond the grasp of human understanding, which is why we need to simply accept that God does as he pleases for his own glory. Meanwhile, we must forego any assumptions about what he is made of, how he is organized, what his motivations are, what thoughts he entertains, what he desires, and so on. Anthropomorphizing God does not help. Nothing seems to. Be grateful that he at least allows you to enjoy the ride. {smile}

These days, I am concerned with more modest things. I believe we must endeavor to make our lives rational and good. We can do this on a very modest level, sure enough, but these modest steps are, in a World where God is All in All, also the steps of God. The small scale of our human actions is deceptively devine!!!

------------------
              OSCAR WILDE

[This message has been edited by Carlos.Marrero (edited 19 January 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Carlos.Marrero (edited 19 January 2000).]
              OSCAR WILDE

Comment

Hey El Jabaro, I didn't know Carl Sagon was a pot-head until you wrote that, are you for real?
                I have read so many of his books too
                signed-->heading to rehab now!

Comment

Hey DavidFreedom:

Yep, Sagan was an old pothead. Check out the following: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scien...son102199.html

He had the same poetic-scientific inspiration that Charles Manson used to have before he went to jail. To think that when I was a teenager I used to be so awestruck by his "scientific eloquence"... But thanks God I jumped out of Sagan's bandwagon twenty years ago and saved myself the embarrassment of seeing my "hero" turn out to be a fraud.

Unfortunately he may be at the "Rehab" forever, sad thought...

------------------
                  Manuel Alonso

Comment

A Buddhist's view: The Buddha nature is not just a happy feeling or an existential bliss; it is an actual state of life based on the Mystic Law of the universe. We do not need to understand exactly how this Mystic Law works before we can make use of it to our advantage. Laws of nature require neither our understanding nor our belief in them. Although we cannot see the law of gravity, we can attest to its existence. The law of life (Mystic Law), which Buddhism postulates, is far too profound to be fully discussed here. Nonetheless, a few basic concepts can be explained as follows:

Some religions teach that we live only one lifetime, and when we die, we go permanently to some beautiful hereafter such as Heaven or some horrific eternal torture chamber known as hell. Buddhism's view of eternal life, however, posits that one's life or essence has no real beginning or end. We live many lifetimes, repeating the cycle of birth and death. Like going to sleep at night, we refresh our bodies and wake up anew.

Buddhism explains that our lives possess an eternal and unchanging aspect. When we die, our life functions may stop, but the essence of our lives-our eternal identity, with myriad causes engraved in it-continues in a form that cannot be seen. Death then becomes the potential for life. Again, death is just like a rosebush in winter, which contains the potential for flowers (life) within and when the correct external circumstances are present, the roses will bloom (birth).

Everything we've done until this moment adds up to who we are. This is the law of cause and effect. For every cause, there must be an effect. This is karma. We make myriad causes every day through our thoughts, words and deeds, and for each cause we receive an effect.

Buddhism says that, in essence, this law of cause and effect is simultaneous. The moment a cause is created an effect is registered like a seed planted in the depths of life. In fact, this law is symbolized by the lotus flower, which seeds and blooms at the same time. While the effect is planted the same instant the cause is created, it may not appear instantly. When the correct external circumstances appear, the effect will then transform from potential at actual. Looked at another way, our karma is like a bank balance of latent effects we'll experience when our lives meet the right environmental conditions.

As we live our lives (making causes), effects reside within us, and when we die, those effects dictate the circumstances of our birth in the next life. When we are reborn, therefore, we still face the same problems or karma from causes we have made. This goes a long way to explaining why people have different karma.

This principle suggests we can change our karma or destiny that we may have thought unchangeable. This is the great hope and promise offered by Buddhist practice. While in theory all we have to do is make the best causes to get the best effects, many times we feel we have little control over the causes we make. A prime eexample is when we get angry at and say something we don't really mean to people who are close to us. At such times, the condition of anger may seem more powerful than our general nature. When we practice Buddhism, however, we can establish Buddhahood as our condition of life and face our circumstances filled with wisdom and compassion.

------------------
                    Siempre
                    Gil

Siempre
                    Gil

Comment

SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP

This parable is told of a farmer who owned an old mule.

The mule fell into the farmer's well. The farmer heard the mule praying -or- whatever mules do when they fall into wells. After carefully assessing the situation, the farmer sympathized with the mule, but decided that neither the mule nor the well was worth the trouble of saving.

Instead, he called his neighbors together, told them what had happened...and enlisted them to help haul dirt to bury the old mule in the well and put him out of his misery.

Initially, the old mule was hysterical! But as the farmer and his neighbors continued shoveling and the dirt hit his back...a thought struck him. It suddenly dawned on him that every time a shovel load of dirt landed on his back..
                      > > >> HE WOULD SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP! << < <
                      This he did, blow after blow. "Shake it off and step up...shake it off and step up...shake it off and step up!" He repeated to encourage himself.
                      > > >
                      > > >> No matter how painful the blows, or how distressing the situation seemed, the old mule fought "panic" and just kept right on SHAKING IT OFF AND STEPPING UP!
                      > > >
                      > > >> It wasn't long before the old mule, battered and exhausted,
                      > > >> STEPPED TRIUMPHANTLY OVER THE WALL OF THAT WELL! What seemed like it would bury him actually helped him...all because of the manner in which he handle his adversity.

THAT'S LIFE! If we face our problems and respond to them positively, and refuse to give in to panic, bitterness, or self-pity ... THE ADVERSITIES THAT COME ALONG TO BURY US USUALLY HAVE WITHIN THEM THE VERY REAL POTENTIAL TO BENEFIT US!

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built Noah’s
                      Ark, professionals built the Titanic."

------------------
                      desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa
                      desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa: Manuel Alonso "El Jíbaro"

Comment

hola!

i think the choices we make in our lives determine how quick or how slow we will reach the joys and wonders GOD has planned for us.

;o)

padwanjedi@yahoo.com
                        p.s. hi, el criollo

------------------
                        Nicoletta
                        Nicoletta
                        ;oD

Comment

:0

Hi Nocole. Your rhetoric is similar to IVETTE and IDeJesus. Are you related?

Well, anyway, welcome to this site.

As you can see I have left Joey on his own. He is playing Russian Roulette with the Book of Revelation, and as much as I have warned him, he doesn't want to pay attention to the warnings. It would be nice if Joey would really get into studying the Bible, but he just pretends to, and with the New Age paradigm he is trying to apply to Biblical interpretation it is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline (reminds me of "la bruja espiritista" next door that used the Bible as part of her incantations).

Well, see you later.

------------------

Comment

no criollo, we're not related.
                            but i'll tell you, i really do study the Bible. sometimes i see things i don't like...which usually means i will have to make changes in my life. but the book itself is so much deeper than it gets credit for.

how did you make that smiley face? everytime i try it turns out wrong.
                            >

------------------
                            Nicoletta
                            ;oD

Nicoletta
                            ;oD

Comment

Just take : and place immidiately ) by its side and you will get a smiley face. Copy this : ) and delete the space in between and you will get it.

Now, how do you make the "surprised face"?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X