God the Protector?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God the Protector?

With regard to the barbarity of the past week, many theists are again asking themselves "How can god (generic) allow such things?", to which the usual answer, "he gave us free will", is trotted out (his intervention would contravene our "free will"). Now, of course, theists believe themselves clever, in that they are quite sure that, in this, they have hit upon the invincible argument. The problem, however, is that "free will" is a quality of being that, other than in our own egocentric imaginings, simply does not exist.

In reality, we are automatons, heuristic systems that exist in varied states, the sum of our instantaneous system requirements, our instantaneous system capability, and the external forces that bear upon us at every instant in time. Hence, what we do, think, and feel at every instant in time we could not do, think, or feel otherwise. Of course, our motivations can change over time, but only with new data and new evaluation of that data. The chemical and electrical processes that give rise to our concious being occur at speeds that make our awareness of those processes impossible. We are left with a fuzzy awareness of self and "will" of which we are master. The realities of our physiology, which we are only now beginning to understand, will show otherwise, and, once more, mysticism will retreat before the sword of truth.

I believe that, with regard to the universe and its laws, nobel laureate physicist Richard Feynman said it best with this understatement of the century: " . . . the theory that it is all arranged as a stage for God to watch man's struggle for good and evil seems inadequate."

There is an answer to this tragedy in the scriptures.

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

I greet you in the greeting words of peace and paradise, of As Salaam Alaykum. Very interesting analysis, my brother. If you look in the Book of Judges, you see that the Nation of Israel, when they deviated were ruled by an unjust and abusive ruler. When they prayed to Allah, they were sent or were raised a new ruler that lead them to years of peace and prosperity. Then after they lived in peace, they deviated again. And Allah sent another unjust ruler to rule over them again. Allah did this to humble the Nation Of Israel to do Allah's will. Allah allows these tragedies to happen because we, as a nation, as a people have not humbled ourselves. There is plenty of symbolism to point out here. Notice that the two largest buildings in the United States were attacked. Not to make light of the situation, but look at the symbolism. When the buildings collapsed, all the firefighters were covered with dust. In both the Bible and the Qur'an, it states that man and woman originated from a state of dust. Dust is the humblest form of existence. It serves no purpose. In the Bible, I can't recall where off the top of my head it states something about wearing ashes and sackcloth. This is symbolic of humbling yourself. I leave you with this scripture which was the theme of the Million Man March, 2 Chronicles 7:14 states, If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.' We, as American citizens, have for the past week humbled ourselves, and prayed and sought Allah's face, and momentarily have turned from our wicked ways. Surely, the Lord will hear from us and forgive of us of our sins and heal our land, the Promised Land, America.

your brother and servant,

Minister Hector Falu-Muhammad

Comment

Working...
    X