Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chatan v'Kallah (the Groom and the bride)Parashat Hashavua Chaye Sarah / Sarah's Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chatan v'Kallah (the Groom and the bride)Parashat Hashavua Chaye Sarah / Sarah's Life

Chatan v'Kallah (the Groom and the bride)Parashat Hashavua Chaye Sarah / Sarah's Life
    Year 5764; By Messianic Jewish Rabbi Jack (Yacob) Farber, Congregation Melech Yisrael, Toronto, Canada
    http://www.cmy.on.ca / cmy@ca.inter.net

This week's Reading list:
    * Beresheet / Genesis 23:1-25:18
    * Melakhim Alef / 1 Kings 1:1-31
    * Korintim Alef / 1 Corinthians 15:50-57

Beresheet {24:1} Avraham (Abraham) was old, and well stricken in age. HaSHEM (the L-rd) had blessed Avraham in all things. {24:2} Avraham said to his servant, the elder of his house, who ruled over all that he had, "Please put your hand under my thigh. {24:3} I will make you swear by HaSHEM, the G-D of heaven and the G-D of the earth, that you shall not take a wife for my ben (son) the daughters of the Cana'anites, among whom I live. {24:4} But you shall go to my country, and to my relatives, and take a wife for my son Yitzchak (Isaac)."

This Parsha begins with the death of Sarah and the purchase of a burial place by Avraham, both for her and future for generations. It was a significant purchase because the piece of land Avraham bought and paid for is Hebron. We all know the conflict that is taking place over this property today. However this is not what I would like to teach on this week. Rather what struck me about Parsha Chaye Sarah was how Avraham went about acquiring a bride for Yitzchak. It was not only the process of finding a bride that interested me but also the people involved in the process. Follow along and perhaps we will find some amazing parallels to this story and the bride of Mashiach (Messiah).

First I would like to look back into last weeks Parsha Vayera and build our study from there. In Parsha Vayera we find some exciting similarities between the birth and Akedah (Binding and offering up) of Avraham’s only son Yitzchak to the birth, death and resurrection of Yeshua. For instance, Yizchak’s was a miraculous birth and Yeshua’s was also a miraculous birth. Avraham was prepared to offer his only son as proof of his unfailing love for HaShem and HaShem offered His only Son as proof of His unconditional love for us. Our Jewish sages equate the Akedah (offering up of Yitzchak) as a type of his death and resurrection. Yeshua after His death at the hands of the Romans was resurrected. If the similarities would stop here that would be sufficient for most people to see that Yitzchak was a type of Yeshua, but they do not, the relationships between the two now continue in Pasha Chaye Sarah, with the choosing of a bride for Yitzchak.

Let us start by looking at the characters involved in this search for a bride. First we have the father, Avraham. The second character involved in the process is Avraham’s unnamed servant. The third person we encounter is the bride Rivkah (Rebecca). Fourth is the brother of the bride Lavan (Laban) and finally there is the groom, Yitzchak. Now let us follow the story line and see if we can discover any similarities to the finding of a bride for Mashiach (Messiah) Yeshua.

We begin our story with the father, Avraham, desiring to find a bride for his son. Not just any bride, he wants a bride from among his own people. So he instructs his servant to go to his homeland and seek out a bride for his son. He also charges him not to bring his son to the bride but he must present a willing bride to his son. The servant sets out on his journey with camels laden with precious gifts for the bride to be. On encountering a suitable prospect, Rivkah, the unidentified servant tests the girl to see if she is worthy of his master’s son. When she passes the test, the servant gives her precious gifts. He then secures the release of the bride from her family by giving them, gifts of silver, gold and clothing as a bride’s price. However Lavan tries to hold on to the bride for as long as possible, asking that she remain at home. He obviously had his own selfish reasons, having been impressed by the wealth. The bride however, when asked, was willing to leave her family and go to the groom. So the servant and bride left together. On arrival back home the groom is found waiting for his bride. The unnamed servant presents the bride to the groom and the two live happily ever after.

Here is how I see the story. Avraham represents HaShem the Father, the unnamed servant the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit). Rivkah represents believers in Mashiach Yeshua, Lavan, Satan and Yitzchak, Yeshua. HaShem has sent His Ruach HaKodesh to find and secure a bride for His only Son, Yeshua. We as believers in Mashiach both natural born and those who have been grafted into the commonwealth of Yisrael, are that bride. Although the ultimate bride price has been paid for us, and although HaShem has given us the ultimate precious gift, eternal life, Satan is not anxious to let us go. However our bride groom is waiting patiently for us at home and one day the Ruach HaKodesh is going to present us to Him as a bride without spot or wrinkle and we will live together happily ever after.

Hitgalut / Revelation {19.7} "Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready."

Baruch HaShem
    Rabbi Jack (Yaacov) Farber

Hallelujah to our L-rd, our Teacher, our Rabbi, "YESHUA" King Messiah for ever and ever!!!
    Visit our Webpage @ http://www.cmy.on.ca / cmy@ca.inter.net - 272 Rannee Ave Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6A-1N6, Tel: 416-785-7612
    An ever changing Messianic Jewish website till King Mashiach Yeshua comes back!!!
    Shalom Shalom....
Working...
X