BORINQUENS FUTURE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BORINQUENS FUTURE

with all you screaming independence what plans if any are there for Puerto Ricos political and economic future do you really think that pr being an independent nation will prosper i understand our history of takeover after takeover and our country still considered a colony but what will happen to all those AMERICAN busineses that are currently in PR do you think they will stay?

Currently in Puerto Rico company after company is closing. Mostly AMERICAN companies. Why?? Because it is cheaper for them to get their labor done in some other country. You see in Puerto Rico there are hardly any jobs whatsoever. Most people have to rely on their connections to get employed. Because of that most people earn minimum wage and dont have the benefits most employees have in the states. On that same note they do have a certain amount more benefits than most people from other countries because of the Common Wealth status we have. This has caused alot of companies to pack up and move to cheaper regions where the employies will work for less money and less benefits. Plus the fact that Puerto Rico is an island and the products have to be shipped out instead of the normal and cheaper trucking methods it also costs more. My guess is that if Puerto Rico would become independant they would see a boom in American companies there but on the flipside of that a drop in yearly income because they wouldn't be entitled to that much. After all Puerto Rico is "sorta" pretty americanized so it would be easy for them to move in. However if Puerto Rico were to become a state things would probably get worse than they are now. Not only would they have to recieve a bit more benefits from employers but they might also recieve a bit more pay. This would make if more expensive for the companies and more would leave than they are now.
    PARA TODAAAA MI GENTEEE!!!!!!!!!!
    WWWEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAA

Comment

Independence

I imagine that many U.S. companies are leaving Puerto Rico because they are not going to have the corporate welfare they were receiving that allowed them to profit free of taxes. Independence will probably bring companies from everywhere looking for cheaper labor. The key is to find ways for Puerto Ricans to acquire capital to invest so that profits are kept on the island, unlike now. Perhaps the banks in Puerto Rico will be depended on to provide the capital it takes. The infrastructure and the knowledge is already there from having worked with U.S. companies all these years. The key is the capital. Perhaps there is an economic expert in this forum can better answer that question.

I agree in that statehood won't improve the economic situation as much. People receiving welfare will only be eligible for more of it. In the states, the amount of money you get on welfare is more or less the same as having a minimum wage job, so people in the states tend to stay on welfare rather than work. So if Puerto Ricans can receive even more in welfare benefits, perhaps there will be less incentive to work than there is now. While that goes on, English will become the primary language and our culture will erode. I know people who advocate statehood say that our culture is strong enough to survive, but I disagree. As El Filosofo mentioned, Puerto Rico is already americanized to a degree, and americanization is a process, that would just speed up once English takes over.

Comment

BORINQUENS FUTURE 2

THANKS FOR ANSWERING THE ECONOMIC SIDE OF MY QUESTION NOW LETS TALK OF THE POLITICAL ASPECT WHAT TYPE OF LEARDERSHIP WILL BE IN PR IF IN FACT IT BECOMES INDEPENDENT UNFORTUNATELY MANY PEOPLE LIKE IN ALL TYPES OF GOV'T AND POLITICS PERIOD ARE UP TO NO GOOD WHERE DO YOU SEE PR GOING INA POLITICAL SENSE BECAUSE WITHOUT GOOD LEADERSHIP AND A STRONG UNIFICATION OF THE NATIVES OF PR HOW FAR WILL PR GO TO BECOME A LEADER IN THE CARIBBEAN YOU SEE PLACES LIKE DR AND CUBA WHERE PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING DIRT POOR AND THEIR LEADERSHIP IS IN MOST PART TO BLAME AND YOU NEVER KNOW IF THE US RETALIATES AND TREATS OUR COUNTRY AS CRAPPY AS THEY DO THOSE ISLANDS AND WHAT OF VIEQUES IF OUR COUNTRY BECOMES INDEPENDENT WILL YOU FORCEFULLY PUSH THE US OUT OF THE COUNTRY AND HOW BIG OF A MILITARY WILL PR HAVE IF FOR SOME CRAZY REASON ANOTHER COUNTRY TRIES TO FORCE THEMSELVES ON PR LIKE SPAIN AND AMERIKKKA I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS I REALLY APPRECIATE THE TIME TAKEN WHEN YOU ANSWER

Comment

I want Puerto Rico to become a free, democratic nation with elected leaders, and a prosperous quasi-capitalistic economy that mainly seeks to improve the standard of living of the average Boricua ahead of serving the rich.

Comment

Statehood Deserves 2 Thumbs Down!

Comment

Statehood

Just something to think about:

I read somewhere that if P.R. becomes a state, it would be the poorest one.

Could this be true..?
              Any day now...

Comment

loki_girl....

Yes, that is true. Currently, Puerto Rico's per capita income is 200% lower than Federal standards, and is half the amount of Mississippi. (The USA poorest state for the last 150+ years.) If PR became a state, it would take Mississippi's place, and would continue to become poorer and poorer than it currently is, not progress.

Go to the link I've provided in my last post on this thread.

Comment

Ok, let me get into this too. My take on an independent Puerto Rico. Massive migration to the U.S. by many who fear the loss of the island's free access to travel to the U.S. Fear of losing many benefits in the near future for their children's children will also push many to move. A 10 to 15 year transitory period of help from the U.S. to the republic of Puerto Rico and its government. The government of PR allowing those that have american citizenship to keep it so that they can spend american money in the local economy and allowing dual citizenship up to a point. Importation of international products and companies to set up shop. Help from international groups, United Nations, and from nations of the Eurounion. Defense provided by the U.S. up to a point and withdrawn upon certification that Puerto Rico has a strong armed forces, heck, we already have the experience of war and a national guard, 10,000 strong. I see many who give up their american citizenship waiting to get a visa to visit their relatives in the U.S., forcing those on the mainland to visit them, brining more money for the local economy. I see a period of growth pains for the young republic, but never the less, a democratic one. Independence is the best for Puerto Rico, because it is the only logical one. Puerto Ricans don't see themselves as Americans..they see themselves as Puertorriqueños with american citizenship. El ELA esta muerto! I accepted my status..its time mis hermanos y hermanas accept what Congress will do someday..independence.

Comment

If you want to know what will become of Puerto Rico if it should become a State, all you have to do is look at Hawaii and Alaska and you'll find the answer. The debate about independence should be approached with mature reflection, not with impulsive emotions. Some people fear that our identity as Puerto Rican will be lost if we should become a State. Look at Hawaii and consider how in keeping their identity, they are able to bring in Billions of dollars through their tourist industry. I fear that most Puerto Rican are unaware that they are sitting on a gold mine. Learn from Hawaii and bring those Billions of tourist dollars to our beloved island. In addition, use the revenue generated by the tourist industry to educate our people to work in high tech jobs, than let the island induce high tech industries to move to Puerto Rico by giving them incentives and see how prosperous our beloved island will become. Why should we be content in eating hamburgers while we could be eating steaks! There is much to be gained and much to loose! Nevermind the low paying factories, reach for the sky, work hard and smart, and be ready to fly like an eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by PRFMUS
                      If you want to know what will become of Puerto Rico if it should become a State, all you have to do is look at Hawaii and Alaska and you'll find the answer.
                      I don't think so. Those are terrible examples. Click here for why. Statehood = insanity

Comment

Re: Independence

Last year when I went to Puerto Rico, while travelling and checking out the sites, I came across the following American businesses: Sears, JC Pennys, Cotsco, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Amoco, Mobile, Exxon, Monbile, K-mart, Marshalls, McDonalds, Checkers, TJMax, Walt-mart, Party Experience, all the hotels, and many many more American companies. The were in full swing of business, employing all Puerto Ricans. Did not look like they were going anywhere. All this talk about Puerto Ricans receiving welfare. That is not true. Besides, welfare is now workfare, you have to earn what you get. I happen to be a Puerto Rican, living in the states all of my life, and we never received any welfare. Where did you get your information from. The banks - Did you forget that the banks are holding American money, and they are American owned. Regarding language, remember that the reason why Puerto Ricans speak Spanish is because Puerto Rico was invaded by the Spain, who raped our women, killed our ancestors and stole our gold. Then why feel so proud of speaking Spanish. The US rescued us from poverty and malnutrition, and although they won the territory from the Spain during the Spanish-American war, they have given us rather than taken away from us. They have protected the Island from any takeovers, they have provided us with the way of life that we presently enjoy, and not only that but we are American Citizens, and we still enjoy our culture. Remember in America, because we are all free, we could choose to have and enjoy whatever culture we want. Wouldn't you rather speak the language of the country that has been so good to you, or the language of the country that abused us. After all, we no longer have our native tongue. I do not consider it an English takeover. In actuality, English should be the language that we speak, and with pride.

I imagine that many U.S. companies are leaving Puerto Rico because they are not going to have the corporate welfare they were receiving that allowed them to profit free of taxes. Independence will probably bring companies from everywhere looking for cheaper labor. The key is to find ways for Puerto Ricans to acquire capital to invest so that profits are kept on the island, unlike now. Perhaps the banks in Puerto Rico will be depended on to provide the capital it takes. The infrastructure and the knowledge is already there from having worked with U.S. companies all these years. The key is the capital. Perhaps there is an economic expert in this forum can better answer that question.

I agree in that statehood won't improve the economic situation as much. People receiving welfare will only be eligible for more of it. In the states, the amount of money you get on welfare is more or less the same as having a minimum wage job, so people in the states tend to stay on welfare rather than work. So if Puerto Ricans can receive even more in welfare benefits, perhaps there will be less incentive to work than there is now. While that goes on, English will become the primary language and our culture will erode. I know people who advocate statehood say that our culture is strong enough to survive, but I disagree. As El Filosofo mentioned, Puerto Rico is already americanized to a degree, and americanization is a process, that would just speed up once English takes over. [/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

Read my posts, don't just skim through them, lol.

Originally posted by Merci
                          Last year when I went to Puerto Rico, while travelling and checking out the sites, I came across the following American businesses: Sears, JC Pennys, Cotsco, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Amoco, Mobile, Exxon, Monbile, K-mart, Marshalls, McDonalds, Checkers, TJMax, Walt-mart, Party Experience, all the hotels, and many many more American companies. The were in full swing of business, employing all Puerto Ricans. Did not look like they were going anywhere.
                          Exactly! You claim on other threads that independence would force USA businesses to leave, but as long as USA corporations are making a profit in PR in a pro-business atmosphere, they'll always stay. However, these foreign businesses actually take-out of the economy. They might employ Boricuas, but how many locally-owned businesses had to close down because they couldn't compete with the multi-national corporations? Look at the soon to be, much debated on, Wal-Mart/Amgio merger. From an October 30th article by Proviana Colon Diaz from Puerto Rico WOW News, she wrote "...Wal-Mart could control 50% of the market, which could result in the closing of small- and medium- size businesses and therefore increase unemployment....for every 140 jobs created by Wal-Mart, 240 jobs will be lost...." That proves my point. I support Boricua-owned businesses the most.

All this talk about Puerto Ricans receiving welfare. That is not true. Besides, welfare is now workfare, you have to earn what you get. I happen to be a Puerto Rican, living in the states all of my life, and we never received any welfare. Where did you get your information from.
                          Sadly, it is true. From this website, http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/indicators02/appa-fsp.htm it says that there were 1,109,000 people on food stamps in the year 2000 in PR. The population in PR in 2000 was 3.8 million. Great for you that you were never on welfare, but many Boricuas can't say the same. Also, welfare in PR is not like in NYC, where you must work for your check. In PR, food stamps cost less, but the gov't gives it out to too many without much check-up.

The banks - Did you forget that the banks are holding American money, and they are American owned.
                          Your point is? Many banks around the world hold USA currency. USA currency is openly used in Cuba, Argentina, Ecuador...etc Also, USA currency is not USA gov't owned. Click here: http://www.puertorico.com/forums/sho...?threadid=8926

Regarding language, remember that the reason why Puerto Ricans speak Spanish is because Puerto Rico was invaded by the Spain, who raped our women, killed our ancestors and stole our gold. Then why feel so proud of speaking Spanish. The US rescued us from poverty and malnutrition, and although they won the territory from the Spain during the Spanish-American war, they have given us rather than taken away from us. They have protected the Island from any takeovers, they have provided us with the way of life that we presently enjoy, and not only that but we are American Citizens, and we still enjoy our culture. Remember in America, because we are all free, we could choose to have and enjoy whatever culture we want. Wouldn't you rather speak the language of the country that has been so good to you, or the language of the country that abused us. After all, we no longer have our native tongue. I do not consider it an English takeover. In actuality, English should be the language that we speak, and with pride.
                          Yes, the Spaniards have done terrible things, but there are many flaws in your comments. First, the Spanish didn't take much gold from PR, don't mix up the Spanish Conquest of Perú and México from PR. Second of all, what do you call the USA invasion of Puerto Rico on July 25th, 1898? They invaded our land and ruled us with an iron hand for the first 54 years, appointing non-Spanish speaking USA Caucasian Governors. Many of those Governors did not care for Puerto Rico, and oppressed our people. Go here for more info: La Lucha (Click on the timeline below.) http://www.verdadyjusticia.org

Also, how has the USA protected us from invasions? Invasions from whom? Cuba? Please, they could barely keep their people from starving. The USA has used Puerto Rico as a military post to invade other Latin American nations, such as Panama, Grenada, and the Dominican Republic. Look at Vieques! They caused environmental disaster, high rates of cancer and killed a man in 1999. Remember, on July 21, 2001 68% of the people of Vieques voted for the Navy to leave, they voiced their opinion after 60 years of suffering under Navy occupation that stole their land.

The real heroes of Puerto Rico who brought us from partial poverty (Puerto Rico is still the poorest territory of the USA, half the income of Mississippi, the poorest state. The poverty rate is 200% below the Federal level; of about 50% and unemployment is about 14%. USA rule has not been all that good.) were Luis Muñoz Marín, Felisa Rincón de Gautier, Teodoro Moscoso...etc Before them, many of PR's leaders didn't do much. These were Boricuas, not gringos!

Culture and language is disappearing fast in PR. Fanatics like you are only helping the destruction of our people. The first step of the destruction of ones culture is the loss of language. Spanish rule wasn't good to us, but we can't change the past, only the future. Our culture is deeply enriched with Taíno, African, Spanish and French cultures. Spanish is a beautiful language. To force a people to speak a language that they don't want to learn is cultural genocide. Remember, according to the PR Senate Hearing on language, only 20% of the PR population know English. During Governor Pedro Rosselló Dictator-like rule, (1993-2001) he forced UPR teachers to conduct their classes in English. The results were disastrous. Many straight 'A' students, failed classes they otherwise wouldn't have if they were in Spanish. Spanish was forced on us over 400 years ago, but lets learn from the past and not repeat it. You might want English imposed in PR because you know more English than Spanish, with an Anglo mentality of adjusting others to your culture, but didn't you write as American citizens, we're allowed to enjoy our culture? Spanish is apart of our culture and if people like you want to impose a foreign language in which many don't know, then I guess you are just hypocrites.

Look at the posts of Raulgr by clicking on the search icon on the top of this site. (The big globe with a magnifying glass on it.) He wrote many posts on the economic situation in PR and how statehood won't help. You are right, many companies will leave PR because they won't have the corporate welfare that they had, such as section 936. That's statehood. Under statehood, PR won't have that corporate welfare and because PR won't prepare for self-sufficiency, (Political reasons) which is the true key to economic success, the unemployment and poverty rate will just increase. How do we prepare for self-sufficiency? Raulgr and Luis Orlando Gallardo Rivera have great posts on that. Also, remember, if PR prepares for economic self-sufficiency, then why go for statehood when you could go for independence? Thus, statehood and economic success does not go hand in hand, you're comments are again, contradictory.

I agree in that statehood won't improve the economic situation as much. People receiving welfare will only be eligible for more of it. In the states, the amount of money you get on welfare is more or less the same as having a minimum wage job, so people in the states tend to stay on welfare rather than work. So if Puerto Ricans can receive even more in welfare benefits, perhaps there will be less incentive to work than there is now. While that goes on, English will become the primary language and our culture will erode. I know people who advocate statehood say that our culture is strong enough to survive, but I disagree. As El Filosofo mentioned, Puerto Rico is already americanized to a degree, and americanization is a process, that would just speed up once English takes over.
                          You're a paradox. What do you want? It seems you don't want independence, you wrote that you don't want the ELA, but you agree that statehood would destroy our culture, language and economy. Then what's with all the pro-American, pro-USA rule posts? You're posts are full of contradictions, that is why many here on the forum ignore you. Determine your PR political ideology first, then come back and write about PR politics.

Comment

Working...
                          X