Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PR Statehood, Independence, or Commonwealth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR Statehood, Independence, or Commonwealth?

what do yall boricuas want??? i feel if that puerto rico becomes a state, p.r. will be totally americanizao!!! and puerto ricans wont be ths same.....if p.r. becomes independent you guys would have trouble entering the states and would have to go through all the immigration stuff...if p.r. remains a commonwealth, then u guys hav all the benefits yall have today: no paying taxes en la isla, u.s. citizenship, and u.s. help.....so what do yall gente want???

You're new to this forum so you don't know much about the people here and the topics we discuss. This arguement has been stressed so much, you won't get much replies, especially in this forum section. This arguement is all over the place on this forum in nearly every topic and in PR for hundreds of years, (Concerning independence, 104 between that and statehood and 50 years with all 3 options.) My opinion, independence! Go to the Politics section of this forum to read some debates and maybe participate in some. However, I warn you, before you debate, learn a few things about PR culture and politics.

Comment

Independence!

Comment

Mami que es lo que quiere el negro?

STARS AND STRIPES 4EVER!!!!!

Comment

if p.r. remains a commonwealth, then u guys hav all the benefits yall have today: no paying taxes en la isla, u.s. citizenship, and u.s. help.....so what do yall gente want???

Many people think folks in PR do not pay taxes. I once made the calculations. The local PR taxes are as high as "state and federal taxes combined" in most staes of the US. If we paid no taxes in PR I would still be living there!!!

The current status is a colony. Most folks don't like to be a colony------- many in PR are used to the colony due to "Barriga llena, Corazon contento" mentality. The only dignity gor PR would be independence or statehood. Both have pros and cons.

Los recuerdos suelen
          Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

You're right, but...

Originally posted by Stanley
            Many people think folks in PR do not pay taxes
            I think he/she meant Boricuas, in general, don't pay federal taxes. However, Boricuas do contribute to Social Security and Federal workers on the island and those who own real estate in the USA do pay federal taxes. So, in a way, Boricuas do pay federal taxes, but not as large or like the 50 states do.

J-Rod, statehood is as likely as the USA Congress allowing a binding status referendum to take place in PR, which never happened nor ever will.

Comment

Cuajitos, don't be so dumb!

Stanley was talking about STATE TAXES!!!
              • He said that STATE TAXES alone in Puerto Rico are as high as STATE+FEDERAL TAXES combined for each of the States that have the highest tax levels in all of the USA.
              For example, I have a friend in PR who is an engineer, and he pays more than 37% of his income in STATE INCOME TAX. Now, that is an apalling number!!!

Here in New Jersey I only pay 4% of my income in State Income Taxes, and Federal Income Taxes are less than 25% after taking the deductions out. The only thing I complain here in Jersey is for real estate taxe rates, but Puerto Rico is at the same level if you buy a new home. So, if I add together all the taxes my engineer friend pays in Puerto Rico, from State Income Tax, taxes on new cars, real estate taxes, etc., my friend in Puerto Rico pays almost twice as me, and I live in New Jersey, one of the highest tax levels in the Nation
              (and he doesn't pay Federal Income Taxes).

By the way, the Social Security TAX is not a pension plan, since the money put into all of it goes into the Federal General Funds, which is used from makeing Space Shuttles, to the money used to buy the burnt trucks belonging to the Vieques National Wildlife Refuge.

Oh, can I get you to eat your words when Bush declares a FEDERALLY BINDING 2-WAY REFERENDUM for Puerto Rico soon?
              • My guess is that Puerto Ricans will be voting twice next November 2004, once in the local elections, and the other in a Federal MONITORED Referendum voting poll. This time there will be NO "
              • none of the above" clown gimmicks.

Comment

Name calling again? Pretty childish, but what more could I expect from you? Not much!

Originally posted by El_Jibaro
                Stanley was talking about STATE TAXES!!! By the way, the Social Security TAX is not a pension plan, since the money put into all of it goes into the Federal General Funds...Oh, can I get you to eat your words when Bush declares a FEDERALLY BINDING 2-WAY REFERENDUM for Puerto Rico soon?
                El_Jibaro, I can see you've forgotten to read, lol. My diatribe was so clear and direct. I wasn't focusing on that aspect of Stanley's diatribe, since I already know that and have written it many times on the forum. I was pointing out that MeXiCHiCo meant federal taxes when he wrote "no paying taxes en la isla" under ELA, which means Stanely didn't have to go into explaining local tax rates. Furthermore, that's also why I included that some Boricuas do pay federal taxes, to correct MeXiCHiCo's assumption.

Also, wherever the Social Security PR contribute to goes, it doesn't remove the fact that Boricuas contribute to it and it goes into the hands of the Feds; stop being so verbose when you don't prove anything.

On that binding referendum, I think it'll be you who will have to eat his own words and the dirt that Fidel Castro stands on when you meet him in the after life.

Comment

Statehood likely...

Ecuajey, You may be right!!! But, if it does happen, (the 2 way referendum), what do you think the voters in P.R. will choose??? See, It would not matter that much to me since I'm here in Sunny Southern California, but my family that still there, (which are pretty much independentista for the most part), will be affected, and for what I gather, they're going for statehood if it came to those two alternatives. Why??? Because they say that if P.R. became independent, it would be a lot like Cuba, and no one wants that!!! Saludos cordiales... JRod...

Comment

Let me clear something up on federal taxes in PR. Federal employees who are bono fide Puerto Rican residents do pay taxes throughout the year to the federal system if they do chose to. They can also have their deductions put into a savings account with the agreement that they will not use it until they pay island taxes. Let me explain. The federal government will put the deductions in an account and then the federal employee will fill out federal tax forms and “commonwealth” tax forms. They will claim foreign tax credit to pay Puerto Rican taxes, because federal and local laws say you pay one or the other. You can not pay both since PR is not a state. The good thing about this plan is the individual earns some interest from it. The other way federal employees chose from is having their federal taxes deducted from their paycheck and then fill out both tax forms and send a copy of the local forms with their federal forms to prove they have to pay local taxes and claim foreign and possession taxes. In many cases they must take out of their pockets extra money on top of their federal reimbursement to pay off their local taxes (Puerto Rican taxes is higher). The only “federal employees” that do not go through this process are military members who claim other states as their home of record and are subjected to their state tax laws. Social security and medicare are not considered “federal taxes” as in the sense of income taxes. If they were, then it would clearly prove the old adage “taxation without representation.”

Comment

Originally posted by J-Rod
                      Ecuajey, You may be right!!! But, if it does happen, (the 2 way referendum), what do you think the voters in P.R. will choose??? Because they say that if P.R. became independent, it would be a lot like Cuba, and no one wants that!!!
                      I don't think the binding referendum will ever happen, because of USA Congressional fears. Even if it does, if statehood is chosen, which is most likey, because of "El Cuco," I don't think the USA Congress will grant that anyway. If it is granted, PR would suffer more than a state than Cuba under Fidelito. Click here for why: Statehood Sucks!

If your family was truly independentista, then I don't think they would ever believe an independent PR would be like Cuba or vote por la estadidad. Those who constantly refer an independent PR as another Cuba need to realize why Cuba is the way it is, beyond Fidelito himself, and realize the different circumstances and the unique chance PR has that Cuba and most of the world didn't and have.

Comment

Another way the US takes millions from PR is the Social Security tax. Since the population of PR is WAY much younger than that of all states, people in PR, pay as much in SS taxes but they recieve much less in benefits due to the age factor, than the "older states". That money goes to help los viejitos en Connecticut.

PR recieves 26 out of 27 federal entitlements (no SSI), why not eat the cake and eat it too?. Puerto Ricans DO pay higher taxes ( all taxes) than people in the mainland. Almost everything is imported, using the most expensive merchant marine fleet in the world, hence everyting is more expensive. They have three different currencies in PR: dolares, cheques and cupones.

After living in the states for 30 years I believe that the US will never (unless by a violent uprising of the people) grant either independence or statehood to PR, so your question will only see fruition through armed rebellion. Lastly, none of the referendums about the status of PR have been sanctioned by Congress, which is the ultimate decider, all of them exercises in futility.

Comment

I think another plebiscite should be held with the options of either statehood or independence. What the majority votes for is what they get. Puerto Ricans must be brought out of the status they are currently in due to

A. The fact they are denied basic rights as citizens of America and are not protected under the Constitution.

B. They don't even WANT the current commonwealth status
                          (In the 1998 plebiscite commonwealth as it exists under federal law was decidedly REJECTED when it recieved only 0.1% of the votes.)

Obviously the Puerto Ricans are asking for a change and I say change is what they should be given. As for the options, let them decide what they want!

-Squeakerspeaker

Comment

independence

I think that p.r should defenetly not become a part of the states. I live in Hartford, Ct and not that i dont like it here, but i liked living in p.r better
                            Sojlei-Maria Juanelle Lopez Gonzalez Morralez

Comment

NOT MENTIONING PARTY PREFERENCE, I BELIEVE PR SHOULD STAY A COMMONWEALTH, IT HAS BEEN LIKE THAT FOR SO LONG NO MATTER WHAT POLITICAL PARTY HAS GOVERN PR, WE HAVE THE LUCK TO GET ASSISTANCE AND HAVE US CITIZEN RIGHTS AND AT THE SAME TIME CONSERVE OUR CULTURE AND ROOTS. I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND BELIEVE ME IS NO MAGICAL STATE AND COUNTRY EITHER. IM JUST LIVING HERE BECAUSE MY SON WANTS TO AND HE IS SO ATTACHED TO ME, BUT OTHER WISE I WOULD BE LIVING IN PR. PEOPLE BELIEVE IN THE "AMERICAN DREAM" BUT THEIR ISNT ANY. IN THE US THEIR IS SO MUCH DISCRIMINATION AND DENEGRATION THAT I DONT BELIEVE PR SHOULD BE A STATE, WE ARE WELCOME IN A CONVINIENT WAY FOR THE US BUT OUR HUMAN RIGHTS ARE NOT RESPECTED. THE ONLY REASON US IS INTERESTED TO HELP PR IS BECAUSE THEY USE RESOURCES FROM OUR COUNTRY TO BETTER THEIR COUNTRY. DONT THINK THE US WANTS US BECAUSE WERE SPECIAL AND BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE EVERY COUNTRY IS SPECIAL IN THEIR UNIQUE WAYS. UNITED STATES SAYING IS: YOU SCRATCH MY BACK AND I WILL SCRATCH YOUR.

Comment

Working...
                              X