Investigation Into U.S. Companies That Recruit Boricuas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigation Into U.S. Companies That Recruit Boricuas

McClintock Calls For Investigation Into U.S. Companies That Recruit Puerto Ricans

By RICARDO ZUNIGA

May 8, 2003
    Copyright 2003 ASSOCIATED PRESS.
    All rights reserved.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP)
    - A senator on Thursday asked the territory's Senate to investigate U.S. companies that recruit Puerto Ricans to work in the northeastern United States.

Sen. Kenneth McClintock's request comes after Puerto Rico's government banned a New Jersey-based employment agency from using its facilities to recruit workers for jobs in U.S. meat processing plants, citing poor wages and substandard housing.

Maxi Staff and parent company Ronell Industries Inc. will no longer be allowed to use offices and services within the Puerto Rico Labor and Human Resources Department for its recruitment, officials said.

"It's the Puerto Rican Senate's responsibility to investigate the working condition of Puerto Rican migrant workers and recruiting practices used by different companies," McClintock said.

The Senate's Labor, Human Resources and Veteran Affairs Commission will lead the investigation and members might go to the U.S. mainland to examine conditions at the work sites, he said.

The commission will present a report to the Senate before the session ends at the end of the month, said the pro-statehood senator, who is a member of the commission.

Critics of Maxi Staff/Ronell say they use deceptive practices to lure Puerto Ricans - who are U.S. citizens - to the mainland and then profit excessively from them.

Keep an eye open for US Companies

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ecuajey
    [B]McClintock Calls For Investigation Into U.S. Companies That Recruit Puerto Ricans

By RICARDO ZUNIGA

May 8, 2003
    Copyright 2003 ASSOCIATED PRESS.
    All rights reserved.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP)
    - A senator on Thursday asked the territory's Senate to investigate U.S. companies that recruit Puerto Ricans to work in the northeastern United States.

I think it is a good idea to keep these companies in check. I appreciate the information, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by ojosverdes16
      I think it is a good idea to keep these companies in check. I appreciate the information, my friend.
      You're right and you're welcome.

Comment

The same thing is happening in the area of Education. Recruiters from New Jersey go to Puerto Rico to interview and recruit teachers. They interviewed my mother who is a teacher in the Island and everything seemed fine, when she did research to find out about the area it turned out to be a ghetto with very high crime rates.

Comment

I know a teacher in Puerto Rico who is leaving to work in a school in Orlando. It is not in a ghetto, it is not in a high crime area. She is leaving because the pay for teachers here stinks, about $20 grand. She is also leaving because she wants a better education for her children. The Department of Education has reduced the number of school days for the 2004-2005 school year from 140 to 100. What kind of education can you get with that?

Comment

Working...
          X