Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bill in Washington (Another New Tatic To Making Puerto Rico a State)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bill in Washington (Another New Tatic To Making Puerto Rico a State)

In Washington they are currently reviewing and in the process of working on a bill that will allow Puerto Ricans who do not live in Island to vote for the traditional statehood, commonwealth, or independence vote.

The bill is pushed by the Democrats of the House, who are hoping that the bill will serve as a new tactic to get Puerto Ricans to vote for statehood.

House Democrats are optimistic about the bill, because if Puerto Rico does become a state it would favor the Democratic party giving them two more senators, and six more house members. Even though the Current Governor of Puerto Rico (Luis Fortuño) is part of the New Progressive Movement which is a Republican based party.

This causes multiple questions to pop up. Why is the U.S. trying so hard to make Puerto Rico a state? And after 110 years why don't they just give up? Always coming up with new tactics to get us to vote for statehood.

Concepcion the USA isn't trying hard to make Puerto Rico a state. The PNP supposedly is trying but so far they have been in the power position locally many times already and can't seem to deliver on the statehood promise.

The USA congress won't ever allow binding plesbicites so far. So even if statehood wins if it is non-binding the congress doesn't have to make it a state.

In fact as more time goes by the less likely Puerto Rico is the one making the decision for statehood. It is all dependent on congress.

And congress so far doesn't want statehood. That could change and it will have to with the LIBERALS. Because the conservatives in the USA don't want statehood. They don't.

Anything is possible in politics. Could be one day they make it a state. Could be one day they expand ELA to include trade freedoms and lift restrictions and do many 'improvements' to the ELA status.

Or could be they give us a fifteen year window to transition to independence and cut a deal on Social Security, Medicaid and so on. And grant us independence because it is too much for them to cope with.

Or could be they sell us off to another country for $$$$$$$$ like Spain did because they get into too many expensive wars and their banks collapse and there is a great Depression and they can't sustain the federal transfers anymore.

Anything can happen. You don't know. But so far it is not the USA pushing for statehood. It is the PNP in Puerto Rico that push it Concepcion.

Comment

Suki is correct. Here is the bill

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2499ih.txt.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Suki View Post
        Concepcion the USA isn't trying hard to make Puerto Rico a state. The PNP supposedly is trying but so far they have been in the power position locally many times already and can't seem to deliver on the statehood promise.

The USA congress won't ever allow binding plesbicites so far. So even if statehood wins if it is non-binding the congress doesn't have to make it a state.

In fact as more time goes by the less likely Puerto Rico is the one making the decision for statehood. It is all dependent on congress.

And congress so far doesn't want statehood. That could change and it will have to with the LIBERALS. Because the conservatives in the USA don't want statehood. They don't.

Anything is possible in politics. Could be one day they make it a state. Could be one day they expand ELA to include trade freedoms and lift restrictions and do many 'improvements' to the ELA status.

Or could be they give us a fifteen year window to transition to independence and cut a deal on Social Security, Medicaid and so on. And grant us independence because it is too much for them to cope with.

Or could be they sell us off to another country for $$$$$$$$ like Spain did because they get into too many expensive wars and their banks collapse and there is a great Depression and they can't sustain the federal transfers anymore.

Anything can happen. You don't know. But so far it is not the USA pushing for statehood. It is the PNP in Puerto Rico that push it Concepcion.
        Oh so Congress has to decide even if Statehood wins? I see.

When I hear some of these politicians talk about the status of Puerto Rico.. They always say something like "hopefully we can get them to join", or "new hopes for Puerto Rican statehood". That's whats been confusing me.

Also in this new bill that they were working on I'm not sure what happened to (I haven't hear anything more about it) the bill its from February this year. It says that the House Democrats are motivated to pass this bill which might help support statehood, and the reason they are doing this is because if statehood does happen than the Democrats gain two senators and 5 to 6 Representatives, and that is because Puerto Rico is in favor of the Democratic Party. And basically by passing this bill Congress promises Statehood (if its passed that is).

Here is the Link
        Puerto Rico statehood bill | Washington Examiner

Comment

No. They wont give a territory more powers than the states. If you want to act like a little republic you can't be doing it under the benefits, protections and money from another nation. Like it was some kind of buffet that you can pick and choose which U.S. benefits and laws you like. Like the clowns in the island that want a "ELA SOBERANA" "ELA MEJOR" or whatever name they keep inventing and keep sucking on the federal tit.

sell Puerto Rico to another country with 4 million U.S. citizens and veterans???? you got the Clippie syndrome now. You and your conspiracy theories.

the U.S. government doesn't have to push for statehood.....its the other way around, its the people of Puerto Rico who have been U.S. citizens for close to 100 yrs. have to petition the U.S. government and they will vote yes or no......whats the problem again?

Nothing wrong in the PNP or PIP asking for a plebiscite to see where the people stand so they can take something to congress to push........this is ALL mute if the ELA wins again.

When I hear some of these politicians talk about the status of Puerto Rico.. They always say something like "hopefully we can get them to join", or "new hopes for Puerto Rican statehood". That's whats been confusing me.
          Nothing confusing dear.........statehood is part of the Republican and Democrat party platforms and it has been endorsed by the last 6 U.S. Presidents including Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and both Bush when the Puerto Rican people vote for it.....it says so in the partie's platform....look it up.

just waiting for the Puerto Ricans in the island to demand it in the polling booths like any democratic society so we can start a debate in congress and finally have a vote.

If they say NO then we can take that option out of the table and go with option B........if they say YES, well a lot of people here that played Walter Mercado for soooo long will have to eat crow.

Comment

Its not so easy

It never ceases to amaze me how Naive people can be.

So the thing is to push for statehood. Its as easy a one two three. The only thing we need is to petition Congress with a great majority, and Americans will be there with open arms. They will immediately throw out doubts of National Interest concerns, which Raven says is a Clip conspiracy theory, and they'll add a new star to Old Glory.

In fact, to think they don't have a problem with us is not know Gringos. To well meaning naive Puerto Ricans, gringos always play by the rules. They are good , honest and will never turn away 4 million loyal Hispanics who are knocking at their door. Many Puerto Ricans view the United Sates much like a cowboy + indian movie, where there are good and evil guys, and the good guys, statehooders, will always win.

According to Raven, its us who have the problem, and like good Colonials as soon as we assert our rights we're on our way.

REALITY CHECK:

1-Has anyone given much thought to why in todays Puerto Rico, where 60% are on Food stamps, that the statehood party is concerned about not getting a majority for statehood? If we add to this the legal Dominicans and Cubans + the folks of Guaynabo, the PNP will certainly have over 70%.

2- Has anyone given a thought that despite having FULL control of both chambers in San Juan, having the Cuban exile community who is 500% pro-statehood, and controls the media, that they can't give statehood a spin like Fox News?

But people like Raven are still repeating "el disco rayao", "We have to petition Congress with a great majority so they can consider our sincerity and loyalty. Doesn't he think that the PNP has a great majority already? What does he want 100%?

THE PROBLEM IS ANOTHER AND HE KNOWS IT. He knows that even if we present Congress with a petition of 100% there is a BIG PROBLEM, and it might be getting worse.

Tell me folks..........

1- Why is the Unites States going to consider admitting a Spanish speaking state at a time of anti-Hispanic paranoia running through out the land?

Raven will surely say, " this will pass, and as soon as we convince them we're learning English , like the residents of Guaynabo, Clips argument is mute."

Duhhhhhhhhh How Folkloric Raven, try again.

2- On the second front, Lets say that Spanish is not an impediment, then why admit a state which will not contribute enough to the treasury, but will get much more in return? What's in it for them?

Raven will surely say this is a conspiracy. "We'll pay taxes!"

But I'm sure he's never heard of INCOME TAX CREDITS! Is that a conspiracy? In fact the PNP is on record calling it, "EL BONO DE LA ESTADIDAD! " Can't beat that for a rip off.

3-When the senate finally considers Puerto Rico, Raven swears they will pass over that we'll have more political power than 27 states, making us a power house within Congress.

But think guys.........

At a time of paranoia, of gringos fearing they will become a minority by 2020, will they accept a state that will have the potential of bringing together the 30 or so Black Caucasus and the 20 or so Hispanic Caucasus into a huge minority non-white voting block? And the 51 State will most likely be DEMOCRAT! Which will give us 6 electoral votes, enough to decide a close call election.

Raven should ask his fellow Utahans how they feel about this? But he won't. LOL In fact I don't think he has too many Gringo buddies.

The problem is is that Raven is thinking like a Puerto Rican, and Forum too, despite them swearing on record that they aren't. To look at this statehood problem you must look at it as an American, not as a Liberal American, but as a Conservative American, which are the ascending majority.

Ironically most, if not all, of the posters who write here, and on CB are Republicans, a contradiction if there ever was one. In addition, thinking about this statehood shtick simply dismisses the fact that Gringos don't have NATIONAL INTERESTS, and they'll follow the constitution despite that they'll screw themselves up.

Like they say in Iowa,

YEAH RIGHT!

Comment

I never known a person with a big inferiority complex about his own race than Clippie....this guy is a sad case.....im writng to you in bold letters so you can read this, since you have problems with your sight.

Clippie puts down the Puerto Rican people saying that they can't produce in the union in the best economy in the world because they are lazy, on food stamps and speak spanish.....but on the other hand they can produce better under a republic....try to figure him out

We have lots of professionals and hard working people on the island and 60% are NOT on food stamps like Clippie said. That's just as he views his own kind and that's how low he views his own race......I wonder that's why he married a GRINGA instead of a Puerto Rican, I dont know but it all adds up.

He always writes the negative about Puerto Ricans in the island, he never writes anything positive about them....have anybody noticed that? .....then he always writes that the Americans will NEVER accept Puerto Ricans in the union because of those negative traits like he speaks for all 310 million Americans living in the mainland......if that is not a race inferiority complex issues then I don't know what is.

I never said statehood was a right or guaranteed....the same for independence...but you ask for it with a majority and if they say NO then you go to plan B.....get it? anything is better then to stay in a colony and wait for the U.S. politicians to solve the issue for Puerto Rico

Statehood has never won a majority in any plebiscite, Clippie confuses an election every 4 years to administer the ELA to a plebiscite on the status which he thinks its the same thing and Clippie thinks that the U.S. is going to force a status change on Puerto Rico.

He wants to play WALTER MERCADO all day in the forum and guess what is congress going to do if the majority of Puerto Ricans petitions statehood.......NOBODY knows because it has never receive a majority in P.R. to even start a debate in congress.

Clippie says the conservatives in the republican party will reject statehood....well they have to explain why they have it in their party platform......and why all Republican Presidents from Ronald Reagan, Both Bushes, Ford and Nixon have endorsed statehood for P.R. and last time I checked, Reagan was a conservative.

Clippie thinks that because he is married to a gringa and has a few gringo friends that he knows what 310 million Americans think about Puerto Rico joining the union and he speaks for all of them. Amazing, isn't he, that's why I call him the Walter Mercado of the forum.

It doesn't matter what Utahns thinks, They are only 2.5 million in a country of 310 million and I can't speak for all them, unlike clippie that thinks he knows what everybody thinks. If this debate ever comes down it will be on party line vote just like everything in congress.

Enough with the conspiracy theories and race inferiority complex issues .....lets choose A or B but anything its better in staying the same.
              Last edited by MikeRavens; 2nd July 2010, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRavens View Post
                I never known a person with a big inferiority complex about his own race than Clippie....this guy is a sad case.....im writng to you in bold letters so you can read this, since you have problems with your sight.

Clippie puts down the Puerto Rican people saying that they can't produce in the union in the best economy in the world because they are lazy, on food stamps and speak spanish.....but on the other hand they can produce better under a republic....try to figure him out

We have lots of professionals and hard working people on the island and 60% are NOT on food stamps like Clippie said. That's just as he views his own kind and that's how low he views his own race......I wonder that's why he married a GRINGA instead of a Puerto Rican, I dont know but it all adds up.

He always writes the negative about Puerto Ricans in the island, he never writes anything positive about them....have anybody noticed that? .....then he always writes that the Americans will NEVER accept Puerto Ricans in the union because of those negative traits like he speaks for all 310 million Americans living in the mainland......if that is not a race inferiority complex issues then I don't know what is.

I never said statehood was a right or guaranteed....the same for independence...but you ask for it with a majority and if they say NO then you go to plan B.....get it? anything is better then to stay in a colony and wait for the U.S. politicians to solve the issue for Puerto Rico

Statehood has never won a majority in any plebiscite, Clippie confuses an election every 4 years to administer the ELA to a plebiscite on the status which he thinks its the same thing and Clippie thinks that the U.S. is going to force a status change on Puerto Rico.

He wants to play WALTER MERCADO all day in the forum and guess what is congress going to do if the majority of Puerto Ricans petitions statehood.......NOBODY knows because it has never receive a majority in P.R. to even start a debate in congress.

Clippie says the conservatives in the republican party will reject statehood....well they have to explain why they have it in their party platform......and why all Republican Presidents from Ronald Reagan, Both Bushes, Ford and Nixon have endorsed statehood for P.R. and last time I checked, Reagan was a conservative.

Clippie thinks that because he is married to a gringa and has a few gringo friends that he knows what 310 million Americans think about Puerto Rico joining the union and he speaks for all of them. Amazing, isn't he, that's why I call him the Walter Mercado of the forum.

It doesn't matter what Utahns thinks, They are only 2.5 million in a country of 310 million and I can't speak for all them, unlike clippie that thinks he knows what everybody thinks. If this debate ever comes down it will be on party line vote just like everything in congress.

Enough with the conspiracy theories and race inferiority complex issues .....lets choose A or B but anything its better in staying the same.

Monsieur Pitiyanki,

Please point out where did I say Puerto Ricans are inferior? It could be a projection of your unconscionsness. I'm only pointing out some FACTS, which you REFUSE to address. You only address my posts with puts-downs and personal insults, but never address the issues I bring to the table.

1- You refuse to accept the fact that 60% of Puerto Ricans are on food stamps or some other Federal transfers. That's a FACT, not my invention.

2-About muy personal life, and who I married, Its none of your damn business!

3- About writing about why I think the U.S. will not accept Puerto Rico as a state, its MY OPINION, and it has nothing to do with negative traits. Most in PR want statehood for security reasons, after all, we are Colonials. For heavens sake, this is how colonials function! Even Gringos in 1776 functioned this way! We've LIVED 102 YEARS BEING TAKEN CARE OF, WHY NOT FOR ETERNITY! But as you know, nothing is for eternity, and less so when there are grave problems in the United States, none of which you care to address. Its easier to attack me personally instead of taking me on the details I present.

4- O.K., if you want to have an adult discussion instead of whining like a child, then discuss, as you said, "If they say NO, we go to plan B. What is plan B?"

5-And if you're so sure of plan A, then REFUTE my arguments. However don't come in with that worn out cliché that, "we have to vote for it". Snow balls will freeze in hell before we move Congress with a 100% vote. And by the way, I didn't invent that we'll be the poorest of the 50. I didn't invent the PNP 's "Bono de la Estadidad", a.k.a INCOME TAX CREDITS. One thing I do know is that we have to "Cogerlos de pendejos", having them think one thing when reality it's another. But will 4 million colonials take the most powerful nation on this planet as "Pendejos?" That is for a good discussion.

6- About PR being on the Republican platform, YOUR ARE CORRECT! However have you noticed that it was in the last CENTURY? In fact Republicans, at the urging of the Navy did put us on their platform but strangely didn't do anything about it but ask us for donations. Hispanic State 51 might still be there hidden in some obscure page 3,435. But remember, "El papel aguanta todo lo que le pongan". And by the way, the NAVY left some time ago.

7-And finally about your silly immature, Walter Mercado shtick, These forums are for speculating and discussion. Sometimes they are for RELAJO. However when I put things down you can take it either way. "Yo relajo de vez en cuando", but not in the previous post. I've never attacked you personally, well, only to call you BIG BLACK BIRD, which is not an attack, but a translation, and a contradiction. Why is it a contradiction? Knowing that you're a Republican and Republicans are not too keen on Black these days, I think you've commited a "Faux pas". LOL
                Last edited by clip314; 6th July 2010, 14:46.

Comment

Working...
                X