X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MURDER OF CARLOS MARRERO

ANYONE WHO HAS INFORMATION ABOUT OR WITNESSED
    THE EVENTS THAT LEAD TO THE DEATH OF CARLOS
    MARRERO IN AUGUST 1999 PLEASE INFORM THE PROPER AUTHORITYS OR MYSELF IF YOU ARE CONCERNED FOR YOUR SAFETY! CARLOS WAS A DEDICATED POLICE OFFICER AND A BELOVED FATHER
    OF TWO YOUNG SONS WHO ARE NOW LEFT WITHOUT SUPPORT. WE MUST HAVE JUSTICE IN PUERTO RICO
    OR ARE WE TO LOCK OURSELVES IN OUR HOMES AND
    LIVE OUT THE REST OF OUR LIVES IN FEAR FROM THESE PEOPLE?

------------------

Hi Don

I'm laughing this one out, because I fail to see how this "contribution" of yours relates to any of my postings. I have never expressed support for any form of violence. In fact, some of the most impressive successes relative to human rights and civil rights have come via non-violent activities throughout this century. Violence more often originates with those in power; the disempowered rarely are able to express their will through violence. In fact, they have a greater sensitivity to issues regarding the abuse of force, and only engage in aggression in self defense. There are, of course, exceptions.

Let me take advantage of this amusing entry of yours to point out to you that crime statistics are often higher in "colonies", along with unemployment rates. Social scientists have been telling us for a while now that feelings of disenfranchisement, unemployment and underemployment, and other social problems are strongly related to criminal behavior. (See, for instance, Frantz Fanon's Wretched of the Earth).

Unfortunately, the Puerto Rican government lacks the authority to intervene with many (but not all) of the factors that affect the economic health of the nation. Along with these limitations comes limited control over crime. Violence, in this sense, is the result of colonization, and the remedy for it is a strong local goverment that along with punitive measures has the means to stimulate the economic and social development of its population.

Finally, in the spirit of brotherhood, I'm going to assume that this regretable heading of yours is not an expression of your wishes. I'd hate to think that you could be moved to violence by a mere expression of an opinion. Trust me, America doesn't need or want more violent citizens.

------------------
    A map of the world that does not
    include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the
    one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity
    lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail.
    Progress is the realisation of Utopias.
    OSCAR WILDE

A map of the world that does not
    include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the
    one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity
    lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail.
    Progress is the realisation of Utopias.
    OSCAR WILDE

Comment

Working...
    X