Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Note To Conservatives

A Note To Conservatives

What is suggested here is radical—that Puerto Rico be granted independence from the United States. A conservative might well believe that the US relationship with Puerto Rico is justified and that to suggest otherwise is unpatriotic, but consider this: in our own (US)revolution the conservatives wanted to continue our relationship with England; the radicals wanted independence. With regards to slavery, the conservatives were with the status quo while the radicals were the abolitionists. In the old Soviet Union the conservatives were the hard-line Stalinists; the radicals wanted democracy.

In defense of conservatism, where "radical" comes from a Latin word meaning "root", the intent of conservatism is to conserve. Conservationists, historical preservationists are conservatives, and while conservatism is a block to progress, one must consider the nature of the progressive act: is it destructive or is it just? To tear down a valuable, historical old building, or an ancient forest is an act of destruction. To grant a nation of people self-determination is just. Those who are blindly conservative are just as myopic as radicals with no concern for the consequences of their actions. Each must balance and temper the other. But where justice is concerned they must stand united and save their partisan rhetoric for when they can afford it.

If you are a "conservative" I respect and share your concern for the value of the past and of tradition; I only ask you to respect my hope for the future. If you do not agree with us at least understand our passion and convictions.

We all long for peace, support the struggle for liberty and believe in justice. There is much more that we have in common than divides us.

Leticia_g

Did you write this? It's very good.

Comment

Re: A Note To Conservatives

Leticia,

I must say that I may not agree with you on certain topics and some we meet eye to eye, but never can I say that I did not like reading what ever it was that you have posted. Now I must ask you one thing would you consider forcing people to independence or statehood? and, what would you consider regardless of the status, if we were to submit our people to suffering due to this change? (DESTRUCTIVE or JUST)
      HUMANS ARE RELUCTANT TO CHANGE, BUT CHANGE IS ONLY A PART OF EVOLUTION, ONE THAT WE NOR ANYONE ELSE CAN AVOID!

Comment

Ecuajey

Thank you for the vote of confidence.

con cariño

Comment

Ponce

It is great seeing you here again. Thank you for your comments.

Concerning your statement:

Leticia,

I must say that I may not agree with you on certain topics and some we meet eye to eye, but never can I say that I did not like reading what ever it was that you have posted. Now I must ask you one thing would you consider forcing people to independence or statehood? and, what would you consider regardless of the status, if we were to submit our people to suffering due to this change? (DESTRUCTIVE or JUST)

I don't believe in doing anything by force as a political agenda. I do believe in inspiring and influencing people to the positive even if it is my political view. Whether independence or statehood comes to play we shall see, but remember it isn't something that we have complete control of however the US congress does. The only way they will eventually submit to us is if we show unity or strength in our belief. Right now all they see is a bunch of people that don't know their left from their right. No insult intended but they do see us that way. I would support whatever our people want. The fact that suffering may come about with whatever political agenda we pick is unavoidable. If you review history, nothing ever occurred without lost of life and without some suffering. The reasons are that we at times can't accept change easily. We see the troubles, the hardships, the negatives, we don't try to prevent these problems from occurring. Yes, we may be able to prevent many but all in all we won't prevent all. In History after every war there was an economic boost. In life we see that also. We can protect people just so much, but if we walk constantly being afraid of what could happen, we will never walk out of our houses.

Much respect to you my friend!

Comment

THE POWER OF VOTING

Leticia,

Thanks for the warm welcome, it is always a pleasure to read your comments. If only the rest of our people would put aside their pride, they would see that we have more in common, but regretably that is not so and because of this we will still be looked at as disorganized people. One thing that is very true and remember about 6 months ago we were debating about something similar and we did agree that through votes in the U.S. we could force congress in allowing Puerto Rico to be able to decide its on destiny. I would support what ever Puerto Rico decides, but I am completely against out side interference, and this goes for boricuas that do not live in Puerto Rico! We the ones that left can give them (P.R.) the right to choose but we should not be able to choose for them. Again it is nice being back.
            HUMANS ARE RELUCTANT TO CHANGE, BUT CHANGE IS ONLY A PART OF EVOLUTION, ONE THAT WE NOR ANYONE ELSE CAN AVOID!

Comment

Ponce

I agree with you, we are the wheel in our political agenda. We have a lot of control by voting and influencing Congress. They know that if all the Puerto Ricans in the USA voted or showed support towards our Islands political goals, they would have no choice but to submit. With this power in mind, it makes you wonder, why our people do not exercise this. Why the fear and why do they feel so intimidated? I also feel that if Congress exercises the right to support our Island's decision that we as Puerto Ricans in the states should respect what our brothers in the Island choose.

Much respect to you always!

Comment

RESPECT...

Leticia,

You have completely earned my total respect way before today, but your last comment is what reminds me why is it that I love to read your post, even when I may not see them as you do. One thing is for sure we see our islands political problems through the same eyes and I can only hope that in a near furture we can see our brothers and sisters come together to rescue what we hold most dearest, PUERTO RICO.

Comment

Working...
                X