¡¡¡Puertorriqueñoooooooos!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¡¡¡Puertorriqueñoooooooos!!!!

Hi, I would like to improve my poor english, and I should be very much obligued if someone said me the gramatical errors in this message.

On the other hand, I would like to know which is Puerto Rico's real situation. I'm very interesting in it since I read a Vieques news. Is PR a yankee state? Is PR an independent State, like Cuba or Mexico? Is spanish the official language? Which language people uses normally?

Thanks,

---> Si hay alguno que prefiere responder en español, bien porque se defiende mejor que con el inglés, o por lo que sea, no hay ningún problema.

Well, first of all, you spelled "obligued" wrong. It's obliged, also you used it wrong. It's to do a favor for, meaning you're doing the favor when in reality, I'm the one doing the favor for you by helping you with your grammer, lol. (LOL = Laugh out loud.)

Therefore and also, it's not "I should be very much obligued if someone said me the gramatical errors..." It's "I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me any grammaical errors..."

Also, Puerto Rico is neither a USA state or an independent nation. It's a colony. (Legally called "Estado Libre Asociado" in Spanish and "Commonwealth" in English.) It has some self government, but the major decisions are made by the USA Congress (We have one non-voting Representative) and all Federal laws apply. (No matter how ridiculous they may seem.)

Spanish and English are the official languages, but Spanish is used by 99.9% of the population, while English is only known by about 10-20%. Take care.

Comment

Well, NOT exactly!

Cid said: “I should be very much obligued (perhaps obligated was the intended word) if someone said me the grammatical errors in this message.”

Cid could have said: “If someone would point out the grammatical errors in this message, I would be very much obliged.” (just another way of saying that he would be appreciative)

WEBSTER gives this example: “you will oblige us if you get there early” (or, restated, “if you get there early, we will be obliged” -- i.e., we will be in your debt). I realize that present usage makes this construction somewhat archaic, being mainly reserved these days for use by southern gentlemen.

It should be noted, too, that grammatical errors cannot be “told”. They can be pointed out, or you can tell someone what the grammatical errors are.

Continuing . . .

Cid said: “I would like to know which is Puerto Rico’s real situation. I’m very interesting in it since I read a Vieques news . . . Which language people uses normally?”

Cid could have said: “I would like to know what Puerto Rico’s situation is. I have become interested in it upon reading news about Vieques . . . What language do the people customarily use?”

NOTE TO CID:
      I am certain that, based on your knowledge of Spanish, you can appreciate the fact that the fine points, the nuances of a language are what separate the men from the boys, and that nowhere is that more true than it is with respect to the Spanish language. As you might imagine, English is also somewhat elusive. At any rate, you are to be congratulated on your facility with English. Would that my facility with Spanish was even remotely as good, but, alas, I am a mere toddler in that regard!

Comment

Working...
      X