No announcement yet.

ˇ Anda pal sirete! WHERE IS STATEHOOD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ˇ Anda pal sirete! WHERE IS STATEHOOD?

In an article written by Juan Manuel Garcia Passalacqua,in the San Juan Star, Sunday December 22, "Washington is getting ready to tackle the colonial situation next year, as soon as the Navy leaves Vieques on May 1, 2003."

Ruben Barrales, the director of the inter-governmental office at the White House has advanced that much. This prompted San Juan mayor Jorge Santini to immediately talk to Barrales, and on Dec. 10 demanded that his Party, the New Progressive Party "MUST LOBBY IN WASHINGTON" to "INCLUDE STATEHOOD IN THE WHITE HOUSE AGENDA," where it isn't.

Where the hell is statehood?

Juan-ma then asks, If not statehood, what are the issues that we will be facing in 2003? What are the terms of the relationship with the United States and the rest of the globe that we must discuss now?

Juan-Ma emphasizes that there are 12 issues that will be discussed next year:

CONGRESSIONAL POWER: If we are an incorporated territory, the power of Congress is absolute and supreme over us. In the exercise of that power, Congress can unilaterally "DISPOSE" of the territory, at any time and in any way it chooses.

COST OF OPTIONS: The Senate is clear that it can make any status option a success or a failure by assigning or denying it economic incentives. It is also clear that only a megaport for intercontinental business can make us self sufficient.

THE MODEL OF FREE ASSOCIATION: The success of the three former territories that are now sovereign and members of the United Nations have expanded the free association option all the way to Europe, where it is sponsored by the Basques.

SOVEREIGNTY AS THE BORDERLINE: Senators agree that the key issue to be decided by us is "WHERE SOVEREIGNTY LIES," in our archipelago or in the United states. It is as simple as that.

THE MISTAKE OF THE COMMONWEALTH: The senators are convinced that the United States made a mistake and "MISLED," us into believing that commonwealth status was something else than what it is: AN UN-INCORPORATED TERRITORY OF THE UNITED STATES.

THE RIGHT OF DUAL CITIZENSHIP: Studies of the American Civil Liberties Union and congressional staffers indicate there is no problem whatsoever with Puerto Rico granting it's own ciitizenship to American citizens, just like Mexico has done, without forcing them to choose among the two.

THE NATIONAL DEFENSE ISSUE: Experts in economic matters have testified that we could enter into a treaty of union on defense matters, from sovereign to sovereign, that would include a SOFA ( Status of Forces Agreement).

THE FREE TRADE ISSUE: Experts in economic matters have testified that we could enter a NAFTA-like treaty that would produce a free trade agreement between both countries, as Chile has done in recent days.

THE TRANSITION PERIOD: Experts have testifired that a reasonable period of two years would be convenient for both sides.

FREE ASSOCIATION IN PRACTICE: The White House advisor on free association has made clear that the experience with free association has been "EXCELLENT" for the United States.

FREE ASSOCIATION AND THE AMERICAN CONSTITUTION: Legal experts have testified that free association would be "OUTSIDE" of the American constitution by design of Congress.

CITIZENSHIP OR NATIONALITY: Opponents of free association have insisted we would be forced to "CHOOSE" between citizenship and nationality. But the ACLU has testified that it would not be required, and it won't be.

The leadership of the Senate has suggested a dialog between INDEPENDENTISTAS and AUTONOMISTAS ONLY! The dialog begins in 2003.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Like I've always said: STATEHOOD IS THE PROBLEM , not for us, FOR THEM!

Miranda interesting post!!

A dialog between independentistas and autonomistas only in 2003 with the senate......that is very interesting. Statehood is the problem....for the USA. More than for the islanders. True. But statehooders are classic oportunistas and as such...don't care if they are viable or not as a real option. They just care about their own political survival.

Good post Miranda.

Comment

Re: Miranda interesting post!!

Originally posted by Suki
      A dialog between independentistas and autonomistas only in 2003 with the senate.
      I think that's only because Pesquera refused to even speak about the status problems with his own people...he rather have a deal of statehood with Washington, but unbeknownst to him, they are rolling their eyes to such an idea behind his back, lol.

Comment

Tremendo posting!

Exelente! Very good, if you do not mind I will be using this for other forums....!

Saludos!

Comment

Interesting, but

Juanma has always written interesting articles. The problem I have with them is, that they tend to be far-fetched. Let me give you an example. In the mid 80s, Juanma wrote and stated in El Nuevo Dia, that plans were being prepared to allow Puerto Rico to be a sovereign state, country, or associated republic. That was to be in 1992, where is it? We are still debating what we want when we should be fighting in the international forum. If the statehood option is left out, then there will be problems. Congress will not be able to face the United Nations with a moral justification of why statehood was not an option offered to their “Citizens”. Sure, they can offer it and stack the odds against it, but at least it will appear that they offered it.
          I have said it before, and continue to say. If Congress does not want us as equals, then spell out the options of what they will give us to move us to full independence with a clear vote and backing by the people of Puerto Rico and with a mutual pact of what Juanma already stated.

Comment

More thoughts on Juanma's article

Just a little more on his article. I would love to see this happen. Let Congress negociate with the PPD and the independence movement. I would love to see where it would go. Maybe this is what we need to get us out of the quagmire we are in. Let us keep our fingers crossed, but I am not holding my breath...lol

Comment

Juanma

LatinoPR said:

Juanma has always written interesting articles. The problem I have with them is, that they tend to be far-fetched. Let me give you an example. In the mid 80s, Juanma wrote and stated in El Nuevo Dia, that plans were being prepared to allow Puerto Rico to be a sovereign state, country, or associated republic. That was to be in 1992, where is it?
              You are absolutely RIGHT! "Juanma metió la pata" on this one. He did acknowledge it and went on to write very interesting books, one of them being, , INVADIENDO AL INVASOR.

One of the things I like about Juanma is that he's not with that crap that we will design the 51 state and then decide. On the other side he makes fun of the estadista notion that Americans will be waiting with open arms wondering what took us so long. He debunks the "estadistas" as being shallow and without much sophistication when it comes to understanding the American system.
              We are still debating what we want when we should be fighting in the international forum. If the statehood option is left out, then there will be problems. Congress will not be able to face the United Nations with a moral justification of why statehood was not an option offered to their “Citizens”.
              Duhhhhhhhh, Remember 1952? The U.S. sold the Free Associated State of Puerto Rico to the U.N. They bought several African Countries with some trinkets, sent over Harry Belafonte and Amos and Andy to sell the goods, and PRESTO, the U.N. voted to accept that Puerto Rico was not a colony and had solved it's colonial problem.

Now that the U.S. is Lord and Master of the universe, Will they care what some third world countries say about what they do? Please. It all depends on how the press manipulates the information.
              If Congress does not want us as equals, then spell out the options of what they will give us to move us to full independence with a clear vote and backing by the people of Puerto Rico and with a mutual pact of what Juanma already stated.

I've said that all along............but STATEHOOD IS THE PROBLEM!

Comment

Working...
              X