Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once the Navy leaves, Vieques will CELEBRATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once the Navy leaves, Vieques will CELEBRATE!

Vieques Mayor Announces Celebration Of Navy’s Exit

April 1, 2003
    Copyright © 2003 ASSOCIATED PRESS.
    All rights reserved.

SAN JUAN (AP)
    – The ousting of the U.S. Navy from Vieques will be celebrated by the municipality’s residents for 24 continuous hours starting midnight, May 1, Mayor Damaso Serrano said Monday.

Serrano said numerous activities, including caravans, performing arts, concerts, ecumenical services, and a ceremony to remember those who engaged in civil disobedience during the past two years, will be held in the municipality.

"Vieques is celebrating. . .We hope that the people of Puerto Rico celebrate with us," Serrano said during a press conference at the Bar Association.

The mayor noted that the residents of Vieques will continue their efforts in order to get the land transfer from the U.S. Department of Interior to the municipality and its cleanup.

Meanwhile, All of Puerto Rico with Vieques spokesman Jose "Che" Paraliticci said some people will still be in prison May 1, serving time for trespassing on Navy land, for which activities will also be held outside the Metropolitan Detention Center in Guaynabo.

It back-fired didn't it?

Yup... you got what you wanted... at the expense of the people of Vieques... Their economy is now tail-spinning into disaster. Did you see John Stosel in "Give me a break!" on ABC's "20-20" TV program? He documented through interviews of local folks in Vieques how the hotel bussiness, the grocery bussiness, and many other bussinesses tied into having the Navy there are hurting the common guy. Yup, you got what you wanted and it back-fired!

I'm sure that Berrios, Bras, Rev. Sharpton, Rev. Jackson and all the other opportunists won't foot the bill to help these folks. Where are they now?

[Keep in mind that the Major is probably a hand picked cronie of the devils Berrios/Sila]

Originally posted by Ecuajey
    Vieques Mayor Announces Celebration Of Navy’s Exit

April 1, 2003
    Copyright © 2003 ASSOCIATED PRESS.
    All rights reserved.

SAN JUAN (AP)
    – The ousting of the U.S. Navy from Vieques will be celebrated by the municipality’s residents for 24 continuous hours starting midnight, May 1, Mayor Damaso Serrano said Monday.

Serrano said numerous activities, including caravans, performing arts, concerts, ecumenical services, and a ceremony to remember those who engaged in civil disobedience during the past two years, will be held in the municipality.

"Vieques is celebrating. . .We hope that the people of Puerto Rico celebrate with us," Serrano said during a press conference at the Bar Association.

The mayor noted that the residents of Vieques will continue their efforts in order to get the land transfer from the U.S. Department of Interior to the municipality and its cleanup.

Meanwhile, All of Puerto Rico with Vieques spokesman Jose "Che" Paraliticci said some people will still be in prison May 1, serving time for trespassing on Navy land, for which activities will also be held outside the Metropolitan Detention Center in Guaynabo.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherRican
      Yup... you got what you wanted... at the expense of the people of Vieques... Their economy is now tail-spinning into disaster. Did you see John Stosel in "Give me a break!" on ABC's "20-20" TV program? He documented through interviews of local folks in Vieques how the hotel bussiness, the grocery bussiness, and many other bussinesses tied into having the Navy there are hurting the common guy. Yup, you got what you wanted and it back-fired!
      I usually watch the show, but I didn't that day. So I went to abc.com to John Stossel's webpage and read what he said on that program. I didn't see anything that talked about the economy of Vieques. They were talking, indirectly, (Why couldn't he just say Roosevelt Roads in Ceiba instead of "the base in PR?") about the base on the mainland of Puerto Rico.

He also conducted one major interview, which was with Congressman José Serrano.

So, it wasn't extensive reporting or well researched either. That's not really his style, anyway. Also, he's more of an expert on USA politics, PR politics in the mix usually gets people like him confused, lol.

If you take a look at many articles about the subject from newspapers all over PR and the USA, such as El Nuevo Día, El Vocero, NY Times, Associated Press...etc, you'll realize that the number of $300 million is not always used. I've read from less than $100 million to an all time high of $1 billion! I've also heard from a military family that very little soldiers in Roosevelt Roads buy things off the base.

The PR gov't and the town of Ceiba will simply just have to find a new source of income, even though I'm not even sure what amount of money they actually make off Roosevelt Roads, if any of great importance at all, lol.

P.S.
      Take a look at a post on abc.com about John Stossel's program:

mmouse69 Roosey Roads waste of money 6:08PM PDT, Apr 7, 2003

"In fact, the PR government has been attempting to renovate existing port facilities and start a new major transshipment port on the South-West coast of PR to attract Post-Panamax trade. Construction work has been unable to begin because the US Army's Corp of Engineers has not approved the proposal submitted by the PR government. Already, PR exports to the US 16 out of the top 20 selling pharmaceuticals in the US. That said, PR has always been part of the US customs territory and as a result PR pays the same import tariffs Americans do. In turn, PR is prohibited from taking part in the benefits of globalization: it cannot establish trade agreements with other countries. Moreover, the federal Jones Act requires that exports from PR to the US be shipped in the most expensive merchant navy in the world, the US merchant navy.

Meanwhile, neighboring Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Jamaica have already started construction of such ports. As the benefits of globalization pass by, PR waits idly and the Navy's Roosevelt Roads base sits abandoned (but still costing the federal government substantial resources). As such, both the US and PR stand to gain from the closing of Roosevelt Roads and its eventual transformation (whether financed by the government of PR or whether financed by private investors) into a first-class transshipment port with free trade added-value industrial zones nearby. Conservative estimates suggest that the currently proposed project in the South-West of PR would create over 10,000 jobs for Puerto Ricans over the next decade. It is unclear how many more jobs would be created if the port facilities in Roosevelt Roads (on the South-East coast of PR) were converted to commercial use...."

Respectfully,

Mickey

Comment

Working...
      X