Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants Puerto Rico to be the 51st State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants Puerto Rico to be the 51st State?

Hey, I'm one of those Real, up to the business kid of guys, but, don't you get tired of people asking you if you want PR to be a state? Holler, if you hear me! ( This is not politics, just say your point of view.)

------------------
    Love to all,
    Rafael Villodas
    Love to all,
    Rafael Villodas

Hola Rafael,

I was born in Ponce PR. Then at the age of six I moved to Brooklyn, NY. At the age of 14 I moved to Silver Spring MD. Where I went to H.S. After graduation I decided to attend the UPR in Ponce. I wanted to know exactly why I was proud of being Puerto Rican. At the UPR I learned about the "Grito De Lares!" I'm not for the independent party, but I do believe PR needs it's own identity. I believe we should become the 51st state! I think we deserve recognition and respect.

Sincerely, Monica M.

Comment

I have said it before,and once again.Puerto rico 51.those terrorist that were liberated from prison today,are going to create problems and raise hell in P.R. They murder innocent people ,they should pay for their crimes.

Comment

I was born in P.R. and at the age of 2 was moved to NYC and live in the bronx. I moved back when I was 18 and didn't like what I saw. I think we should become the 51st. state. But the politics in our country needs cleaning up! Come on back.

Comment

I feel the same way as JVargas. The government has to do a lot of cleaning up. We should definetly become the 51st state. I don't even want to look at the outcome if we were to become independent.

------------------
          Goofy

[This message has been edited by GloryB (edited 13 August 1999).]
          Goofy

Comment

Hey, would you guys be on my campaign,
            If I ever run for Mayor in Gurabo, PR?
            I'll be a clean guy, for the best of my people.

------------------
            With love to y'all...
            PR Shogun
            Certfied owner of the Papichulo 2000
            With love to y'all...
            PR Shogun

Comment

Can someon please explain all the pros and cons of Puerto rico becoming a state?

------------------
              Sandrita
              Sandrita

Comment

I feel what everyone is saying about PR being
                the 51st state, but you have to look at the
                long-term cultural impact. Look at Hawaii, they were once in the same place as PR...a military strategic outpost. They told everyone how much better it would be if they became a state...so they did. Today it's a striving state, booming economy...but the native people have LOST their TRUE culture. English is the primary language...and their NEW culture is the American culture. I don't mean to sound pesimistic about things, however YOU cannot be BORICUA after they make you American. We are the last of the Taino!
                Keep in mind, that before PR was made a territory of the U.S., it was not first choice....Cuba was. So we were taken on as second best....in my eyes.

This is my view.....I would like some return on this, if that's cool.

Peace
                Papi_J

Comment

GO jonny GO..BUT first ,we are americans already.no body is gonna take anything that you dont give up.Spanish is also becoming a second language here in the states.So before all P.R. learn inglish.the gringos will master the spanish.

Comment

Hi Johnny!

Before the US came to Hawaii. Hawaii was already speaking english and the hawaiian language was already a non spoken language to many. The British made it law that the english language be the only language spoken here. The other factor that made the language disappear was inter-marriage and the thinning of the blood line. It had nothing to do with the U.S. making it a state. Now PR has an establish language and that can never be taken away. Further, who says the the U.S. wants to eliminate our culture? If that was so, it would have happen already!!!!!! The issue of culture being lost is but a hype. You live in the U.S., especially NYC or Miami ect. How many was force to lose there culture or stop speaking thier native tongue! I never heard the goverment tell any minority that they could no longer maintain thier culture or speak thie language. The Hawaiians can speak all the hawaiian they like, it is just not that many hawaiians that speak thier own language. There were other issues that the U.S. was at fault, but certaintly not taking their culture and language away. Puerto Rico would do just fine as a 51st state. We as boricuas would make sure of that!!!!!!!!!

The Ulua Man

Comment

Oooookayyyyy!!!!!!

Let me tell you a thing or two about statehood....

1. We are NOT GOING TO LOSE OUR CULTURE. As a
                      matter of fact... WE DONE LOST IT ALREADY!!!! We are imitating the people from the U.S. in everything, their music, their clothing styles, We even got internet in Puerto Rico, thanks to the U.S!!! Where did you learn English, from a mata de platano? Think people, think! You people complain about the Americans, but, aren't you an American too? You live in America... the only thing that makes it different is that you live in the Caribbean, and they live in the North Atlantic. And... what flag floats on our flagpoles, the OLD GLORY, the "Gringo" flag. Oh, and our children, they listen to singers like Whitney Houston, they watch "Gringo" movies, because our "country" has never had the balls to compete in the film industry, like Japan has, or... like England has... Need I say more? Jonny... my boy...
                      the Taino were extinct, even before our great-grandparents were born. You are no Taino, we just inherited their roots. Spain did more harm to us, than the U.S. has... Read more of our history, and don't just read, feel what you read, imagine yourself being shot by a Spaniard, and your dogs being
                      eaten by a huge Mastiff. Then your wife being taken by some stranger, who you think he is a god, then later you find out that they ain't no gods, and they start shooting your ass, because you discovered their humanity. Then they make your island, your home, a big slave market. Your family...DEAD...you...DEAD...your people... FIGHTING FOR THEIR LIVES, TURNING UP DEAD BECAUSE OF THE SPANISH!!! I rather have my little island have a little struggle, with the U.S. as 51st state, than being a titty sucker, that complains about the titty we are sucking, without knowing why are we in this situation. My advice to you... Research more... I did it for 18 years, and I think that we will be fine.

2. WE AIN'T GOING TO LOSE OUR LANGUAGE, FOOL!
                      If we were raised with espanol, toda la vida,
                      mijo... eso no se pierde. Hawaii no ha perdido su lenguaje. Yo conozco hawaiianos
                      que hablan su lenguage nativo, y no lo han
                      perdido. Los samoanos, tampoco. So... what you got on my 40? Research some more... and you will find the truth.

------------------
                      With love to y'all...
                      PR Shogun
                      With love to y'all...
                      PR Shogun

Comment

I gotta tell ya PR_shogun you hit that nail right in the head, and it still going.

Comment

Estimados Compaņeros,

To understand the Political Status of Puerto Rico we should educate ourself and be open minder about the Future of our country,(nuestra Patria)y lo que somos para los Estados Unidos.

Please review the information about Puerto Rico: web site, www.prfaa-govpr.org/sdp_contents.htm

Remember U.S will make the final decision, we like it or no. Our Political Status is on their hands (The Congress).

My only question is Why U.S didn't allow P.R to become part of the Union back on 1898 after the Hispanic-American War if we are so important to them.

Jose
                          Massachusetts

Comment

Thanks, Diocle....

See, I have researced my history, and someone
                            just threw a ball right at me, and I am running with it. Thanks Jose, your insight will be a treasure in this forum. My name is
                            Rafael, and I am the guy who called in this forum, so we can share our points of view, not politics, like I stated when i called the forum. My reason... merely cultural and
                            educational, but with a twist, our own "Barrio spice", where we can use our words, and nobody can get pissed about it, because we are discussing an issue that has been in our lives for almost 100 years.

------------------
                            With love to y'all...
                            PR Shogun
                            With love to y'all...
                            PR Shogun

Comment

Hello Rafael,

To understand our Political Status we should visit this web site:welcome.topuertorico.org/history.html

The History of Puerto Rico is very complex and difficult to understand because our Puerto Rican leaders were not united on a common goal and even today we continue dividing our people, It's a Powerful and Political Strategy to maintain our people hunting for answers with no solution.

Jose
                              Massachusetts

Comment

Working...
                              X