Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants Puerto Rico to be the 51st State?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may want to refrain from dismissing the contributions from NuYoRicans just yet. An aliance between "islanders" and "continentals" may prove strategically necessary, regardless of what side of the issues you are on. I consider myself a "NuYoRican", but I lived in the island for eight years, was schooled there, and have very deep feelings for the island and its future. If they prevented me from casting that final vote, I would understand. But I would not endorse cutting "continental Puerto Ricans" off from the conversations leading to that vote. Islanders can benefit from their discussions with us on these matters. After all, no one in North America cares more for islanders than we do.

Take your friends were you find them.

------------------
    A map of the world that does not
    include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the
    one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity
    lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail.
    Progress is the realisation of Utopias.
    OSCAR WILDE

OSCAR WILDE

Comment

It is interesting to see that there are more Independentistas in the States than in Puerto Rico itself. In all elections Independentistas don't amount to more than 6% of votes in the Island (and the regular electorate turnout in Puerto Rico is about 70%, almost three times the turnout for Stateside elections).

I think that this is a function of the social and economic status of the Stateside Puerto Rican Community. Living in the lowest levels of societal achievement in comparison to the rest of the Stateside Society it is natural that many Puerto Ricans turn to Nationalism and utopian dreams as a panaceas for their ongoing frustrations. However, this is a self-defeating endeavor in light of the fact that many Hispanic newcomers coming from immensely poorer Latin American countries are getting ahead. A similar parallel can be observed in the African American community, where other Africans coming from Africa itself and the Caribbean are getting ahead socially of the local African Americans. With many Africans from abroad getting ahead we see that local African Americans statistically opt for a drug subculture and to following false messiahs preaching the return of a new style of Segregation like Louie Farrakhan (By the way do you guys know that he says that he gets his inspiration from a mother-ship flying saucer orbiting out there in space?). A similar phenomenon can be observed in the masses of Anglo-Americans (White Americans, normally labeled as White Trash) who are in the lower levels of American Society, and who turn to social movements like skin-heads and Neo-Nazism.

Thus, it can be observed that contemporary Separatist Movements all share in common a great degree of Inferiority Sentiment which is driving them to focus their energies to violent fruitless efforts and to seek out escape-goats for all their ills (like Neo-Nazis blame Jews, Minorities, and the U.S. Government for their problems). These Movements will not solve the problems of the very people that belong to them, but are rather philosophical narcotics with which to self-destruct.

------------------
      Manuel Alonso

Comment

In the Northeastern United States, African Americans have proven to be our closest allies. Jackson's visit to Viequez, among other telling demonstrations of identification and support, should prove my point. How sad that this misguided individual should represent us as racists. Our great strengths come from our cultural and genetic diversity. We are a people of color--don't wait for a Congressional proclamation to learn this fact. Actually, go to the early Congressional debates preceeding establishment of Commonwealth if you want to see real racism. Not to say that if you ask your average congressman today he won't let you know you're not part of the club.

As for resistance to immigration often in evidenced among minorities (although consider here the support that Haitian immigrants have received from AAs in the US), consider this. Racial and economic elites often endorse policies that dilute "resistance from below", buy stimulating a population influx of people that are so desparate to escape their homelands, that they enbrace, fanatically, a conviction in the goodness and generosity of their oppressors (psychologists call this "cognitive dissonance"). This "crowds-out" dissident voices with transplanted voices that are out of touch and naively optimistic. It also expands the labor pool so that the economic gains of local struggles can be "leveled", or even reversed, through "competition below". Elevate the supply of workers and diminish employer costs by mitigating pressure for higher wages. This approach caps the material resources of minorities and masks the consensus reach within these communities regarding the adverse impact of current government and business.

------------------
        OSCAR WILDE

OSCAR WILDE

Comment

Is sad that those who belive in state hood
          talk about PR as if it was a country. Once
          PR is a state PRico is no longer a country
          to the world. PR will be seen as a state of
          the US and nothing more. What I can't understand is why those the believe in statehood are willing to sell there country for a hand of gold. Can't you see. We speak Spanish they speak English. We are to different country. Only a FREE Democratic PR
          can we all be happy.

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X