What if.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if.....

I see that there are many people living on the mainland who favor independence for PR. Here's a question for everyone out there on the mainland who favor independence. So the question is.....

"Should mainland Puerto Ricans be allowed to vote if the US decided to hold a status election in PR?"

[This message has been edited by keeptrying (edited 14 February 2000).]

KEEPTRYING YES I DO I OWN PROPERTY IN PUERTO RICO MOST OF MY FAMILY LIVES THERE AND LIKE MY FATHER BEFORE ME AND HIS BEFORE HIM I WAS BORN THERE SO I DO HAVE A RIGHT TO VOTE MORE
    THAN A DOMINICAN RESIDENT OR A CUBAN RESIDENT
    MANY OF US HERE WANT THE OPPORTUNITY TO VOTE
    IN STATUS ISSUES,AND WE ARE WORKING TO THAT END.

Comment

El Boricua,
      Do you think the Puerto Ricans born on the mainland have a right to vote in a referendum? What about the residents living on the island not of Puerto Rican decent (Chinese, Americans, Dominicans, Cubans, etc)?

Comment

Keeptrying:

I cannot answer for Boricua. However, I have been on the Independentista Camp [back in the days when I believed in UFO's], so I can tell you from personal experience that many Independentistas do not see foreigners living in Puerto Rico as Puerto Ricans, so they certainly would not like to include them in the Political Rights of Puerto Rico. The first ones you would see being denied the Right to Vote would be Cubans and Dominicans. From my conversations with Independentistas, as well as being once of that frame of mind I can tell you that Racism inspires 60% of the Independentistas. That is sad. This terrible ignorant (and arrogant) attitude of Racism is behind most Nationalist and Separatist movements throughout the world (Nazism, Ku-Klux-Klan, the Hutu's...)

------------------
        Manuel Alonso

Comment

keeptrying:
          To answer your first question I would move to the island if it gained independence. Secondly, I think that there should be some kind of residency guide lines as well as racial guide lines. In other words, if you were born in Puerto Rico or if you lived a certain amount of years there regardless of race you should be able to vote. Therefore, a cuban or domincan can vote as long as they have lived on the island for an X amount of years.

Peace.

Comment

F.D.B

This is what I don't understand, and maybe you could explain it to me and help me understand. You said you would move back to PR if it gained it's independence. What I don't understand is, if you stay here on the mainland, your not doing much for the independence party. You can't vote there. I guess I don't understand why a belief this strong about independence isn't strong enough to actually take part in the process even if it means giving up what you have here for what you can do there. Can you help me understand?

I read on the puertorico-herald.com that the Oklahoma senator is sponcering a bill that will close Roosevelt roads down if Viequez is closed costing the island roughly 3 billion in lost revenue. If the base closes will PR be important to the US anymore? Does anyone think that the senate will then force independence on PR?

Comment

My grandfather owns a house in Vega Baja, PR. I know that it should be his right to vote on statehood for Puerto Rico or not. On the question of Puerto Rico becoming a state or not, I don't think it should. If it does, the American ways will industrialize Puerto Rico and make damage of the beauty we have out there.

And think about it, does Puerto Rico really need to become a state? America makes so much out of it right now that if it were to become a state, it would take the curiosity out of those people who want to visit it for vacation. Americans are just trying to take everything for themselves.

Everyone knows that if Puerto Rico ever becomes a state, it's beauty would be stripped because of the stereotype that surrounds America as being filthy and dirty. Puerto Rico is not filthy and dirty, it should remain a commonwealth. I may only be 16 years old, but I love where I come from. If I had the chance to move there right now, I promise you I would.

Take care everyone
              Feliz Navidad

Comment

KEEPTRYING YES I DO ALL PUERTO RICANS STATE SIDE SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE ON ISSUES OF THE STATUS,AND PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT OF PUERTORICAN DECENT SHOULD NOT VOTE ON STATUS
                ISSUES IT IS NOT THEIR HOMELAND.

Comment

Well, I don't know if Americans will stop going to Puerto Rico if it became a state. Americans still go to Hawai'i, and Florida. I wouldn't say Hawai'i would be stripped of its beauty just because it became a state. That actually would be a state law on environmental protection. I would also like to see how when the embargo on Cuba is lifted how many Americans will skip Florida, and Puerto Rico and head to Havana instead, commonwealth or no commonwealth.
                  I'm not suggesting Puerto Rico become a state. I still don't know what side of the issue I should be on. There are pro's and con's on each side. I also like playing devils advocate. One thing I do feel though is that Commonwealth can't last forever. It is like being in limbo. Your not married, not divorced, but living together in an unfair relationship. One side supporting the other. Eventually one party will get tired of the other.
                  I must say I don't agree with you boricua about who get's to vote. If someone has been living in Puerto Rico for a long time, they have the right to vote on their future. Why should someone born here on the mainland of Puerto Rican descent who has never visited Puerto Rico get the right to vote on their future? I know a lot of Puerto Ricans who were born here that have never visited the island. If Puerto Rico became independent they would stay here where they have their jobs, and life.
                  When you came to Pennsylvania, you were granted a right to vote for Governor, you vote for Mayor, Senators, and Congressmen. Would it be fair if someone denied you of that right because you were Puerto Rican? It wasn't right when the Blacks of the USA were denied the right to vote for their color, the asians were denied citizenship because of their race, and I think in this case it is the same. I don't think it would be fair to strip someone of that right just because they weren't of a specific race.

Comment

Jose Luis:

You have never been to Puerto Rico, and you are only 16 years old, therefore you don't know how Puerto Rico is. Puerto Rico is an Industrial country, where more than 60% of the economy is made up of Industry [Computer Chips, Pharmaceuticals, Medical Equipment, Electronics, Garments, Food Processing, Chemicals, Furniture, Cosmetics, Jewelry, Etc...]. You should tell your parents to take you there for a couple of weeks. You will find a Mall in every major town (even in "el jurutungo"). Chain stores like Walmart are literaly everywhere. And even in the tiniest towns in the mountainside you will see at least a Walgreen drugstore and a Burger King fast food place. There are literaly more cars than people. However, it is not a dirty place. Maybe your parents came from the mountains thirty years ago, when country folks used to have latrines. I warn you that you will not find a latrine nowadays; even the poorest "jibarito" has a concrete house with running water. And everybody has a color TV. Even one out of every three homes has a computer hooked to the Internet. I could go on and on. Right now Puerto Rico has all the things you find in every State. I can tell you that Puerto Rico has as many stores and businesses as New Jersey, and the roads are in some places even better.

As a teenager that you are, probably living in a poor neighborhood, I simpathize with you, because I bet that all the Gringo kids pick on you all the time and tell you how backward Puerto Rico is. The problem Jose Luis is that those kids don't know anything about Puerto Rico; they have never been there, and it is the habit of Gringoes to belittle people different than themselves and what they don't know anything about [they tend to be loud bullies]. So the next time someone tells you that Puerto Rico is just a big banana plantation and that the people there are barefoot and don't know how to read tell them in plain English: "you are INGNORANT, you DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT". Be ready for a big punch, since bully Gringoes don't like to be called IGNORANT, but it is the TRUTH.

About Puerto Rico becoming a State, since it already has everything materially that all the rest of the States have, one thing we Puerto Ricans will gain is a VOICE and a VOTE in the U.S. Congress, plus every Presidential candidate would have to win the Puerto Rican vote [they would have to make promises to Puerto Rico and keep them to get elected]. Right now we Puerto Ricans are treated like foreigners by the U.S. Government only because we are not a State, and yet every time the U.S. goes to war they recruit Puerto Ricans to fight their wars.

Be ready for the punches of those who don't know a thing about Puerto Rico. Punch them back, but with a friendly attitude ["I am hitting you back for your own good."].

------------------
                    desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa
                    desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa: Manuel Alonso "El Jíbaro"

Comment

IN STATUS ISSUES I DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD
                      VOTE I'M SORRY BUT IT'S THE WAY I FEEL THEY ARE FREE TO VOTE FOR GOVERNER LOCAL ELECTIONS BUT WHEN THE FUTURE OF OUR ISLAND AND CULTURE ARE AT STAKE NO WAY!

[This message has been edited by EL BORICUA (edited 22 December 1999).]

Comment

keeptrying:
                        It's a good question that you raise. I came back to the states because I just recently had a child and both sets of grandparents are here for the time being. I don't know if you are old enough to have children yet, but I for one do not believe in leaving my child in the care of someone who is outside the immediate family circle. That is why I am here, but this is temporary.

Peace in the holiday season and best wishes to you and your family in the new year.

Comment

Hello! So if you`re young you dont have a brain? Maybe this young adult has more of an "unwashed" brain than most of us "old foagies" that have been brainwashed into believing in "fairies". Of course there are all kinds of stores and "malls" but please dont compare Puerto Rico to New Jersey and yes there are still latrines in "Jurutungo"! Of course all the "Mainland" stores are there ready to take back the hard earned money that they pay us in their factories and drug companies (at minimal wages, of course!). I still see plenty of wooden houses and the last huracane took a lot of roofs away. Just look down when the plane is landing and count how many houses have that fabulous blue plastic tents that dear old Fema gave them!Jose Luis, please go visit Puerto Rico and if you are in school, keep it up and dont let them pull the wool over your eyes. Question everything and read and experience as much as you can because, Jose Luis, the world is yours ! Just dont harm anybody.Believe in what you see and your heart tells you, you will do great!
                          On the issue of voting, I believe if you pay contributions and contribute as a responsible citizen and love Puerto Rico then you should have a right to vote just as all Americans or citizens of any civilized country have a right to vote!

[This message has been edited by joseuno (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

Sorry for repeating this message, I cant seem to delete this copy!Hello! So if you`re young you dont have a brain? Maybe this young adult has more of an "unwashed" brain than most of us "old foagies" that have been brainwashed into believing in "fairies". Of course there are all kinds of stores and "malls" but please dont compare Puerto Rico to New Jersey and yes there are still latrines in "Jurutungo"! Of course all the "Mainland" stores are there ready to take back the hard earned money that they pay us in their factories and drug companies (at minimal wages, of course!).Television is the greatest capitalist vehicle to sell us McDonalds and the great Gap! I still see plenty of wooden houses and the last huracane took a lot of roofs away. Just look down when the plane is landing and count how many houses have that fabulous blue plastic tents that dear old Fema gave them!Jose Luis, please go visit Puerto Rico and if you are in school, keep it up and dont let them pull the wool over your eyes. Question everything and read and experience as much as you can because, Jose Luis, the world is yours ! Just dont harm anybody.Believe in what you see and your heart tells you, you will do great!

Comment

Joseuno:

There are latrines here in New Jersey too; and I bet a few apartments in New York City have toilets that don't work any better than latrines.

------------------
                              Manuel Alonso

Comment

Working...
                              X