No announcement yet.

What if.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All citizens (residents) living in Puerto Rico, regardless of their ancestry (and that includes Anglos), should be granted the right to vote on such a fundamental, life-altering matter. Anything else would be tyranny. If you're Chinesse, and have been living in Puerto Rico all your life, and plan to die there and give this land to your progeny, could you possibly be denied the vote by a just and democratic people? I think not. Puerto Rico is the home of a people that have come from almost everywhere on the planet. Amerindians, Spaniards, and Africans were but the beginning of a fabric that has continued to expand and diversify.

I think Puerto Ricans that have migrated to the United States should also be granted this right. Many Puerto Ricans have returned to the island after living and working in the mainland for decades. Indeed, many of these returning Puerto Ricans expressed regreat for so many years of "economic ostracism". Their love for the island never wained; they lived estranged from their land for reasons that had nothing to do with their loyalty and love for the island. Their return after so many years is a testament to that fact.

Second- and third-generation Puerto Rican Americans may not have the same right to vote on the issue, though. They are Americans of Puerto Rican decent. Nor do I believe that merely having land or other possession in the island entitles you to a vote. This is the vote of a nation regarding their collective destiny, their place in history, their relationship to the rest of the World. It has nothing to do with someones patch of land, farm, factory, business, etc. This move is a moral one, not an economic one. Lets not confuse the issues here.
    A map of the world that does not
    include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the
    one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity
    lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail.
    Progress is the realisation of Utopias.
    OSCAR WILDE

Comment

Jose Luis is a young man with a voice, and his contribution is important here. We can only thank him for taking the time to consider our conversation and bring something to it. El Criollo's "spirit" is well taken, though. Everyone participating in this conversation has a responsibility to be as informed as he or she can be.

Jose Luis is onto something, however. Keep it coming.

------------------
      OSCAR WILDE

OSCAR WILDE

Comment

So what I would like to know is who get's to vote. What about people who are only 1/2 Puerto Rican and a mix of something else? Do they get to vote? Where are the lines drawn?
        Also if an election were held should Puerto Ricans go vote in Puerto Rico or should US States hold them as well? Who pays for it?

Comment

Keeptrying,

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico: I have participate in their political process. However, I've been living in the US for the past 19 years, and I will not decide the political status of those who reside in the Island. I have family there as well, but it is up to them to decide their future. I feel that all of those who reside in Puerto Rico should have the right to cast a vote for the Island political status. Cubans, Dominicans, Columbians, Venezuelans, ect... They should have the right to vote too. They are contributing to our Island socio-economic status, even more than those of us who are not living in the island.

Comment

Working...
          X