Statehood - Sound Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statehood - Sound Off

My first time here, but here are my 2 cents worth.

I was born in PR, but have lived in the US since 1981. I am an officer in the United States Air Force and love the US.

I cannot stand pro-independence people who still want the benefits of association with the US. It simply irritates me.

People afraid of losing the culture and all that other BS. Gimme a break! Without the US where would PR be? It would be another Cuba or Republica Dominicana - God forbid!

Puerto Rico continually bites the hand that feeds it and i do not know why the US puts up with it in all honesty! All the "cultura", "patriotismo" and "independiencia" does not mean a thing if you are starving on the streets and spiraling down to 3rd world status!

Be careful what you ask for PR!! Go independent, and you'll regret it FOREVER! At that point, "la patria" means ZERO!!!

I know I am not the "best" puerto rican, but that's because all I am I owe to the best nation in the world - THE US!! Those of you who disagree and live in the US should get the hell out now!!

God Bless AMERICA!!

WELL SAID MAN!!!
    PEACE BROTHERS AND SISTERS

Comment

Well that seems to be the oppinion of a person who never had any roots to the land to begin with. But at least try to make intelligent points. Your assumption that Puerto Rico, with a better infrastructure, and better educated people (academically that is), would end up like Cuba. That is an old ghost story spread by pro-statehooders to scare up the masses. That fact is that Puerto Ricans have a greater appreciation of what it is to be free. That you will presume to be something Americans thought us. But you would be wrong. Puerto Rico was already a self governing nation under Spanish Commonwealth status, well on its way to Independence. It even had a Declaration of Indepence signed when the Americans invaded during the spanish -american war. A war that the Americans forces instigated against Spain. Now that you got what you wanted from the US, why do you put down your people? Get your head out of the clouds. Read up on history while you sit at your desk or airplane. The US addicted our parents and grandparents with the hopes of benefits from our association. What did we get? welfare, dissability checks, foodstamps.

We did not need that, I remember my grandparents forced to sell their parcellas to developer, they thought they got a good price. The money they got was not enough to even buy a house in into the development. They wound up on foodstamps. The Pro-Statehood govenrment at the time made it easy to run our grandparent of their land were at least some could survive on what they grew. Perhaps thats you problem, you never had to work hard to eat? You probaby grew up spoiled and ain a home were your parents could afford to give you anything. Now your Uncle Sam is taking care of you. Well we certainly dont need people like you who is obviously ashamed of his heritage and nationality. The tone of you critizism is most unbecoming an officer of any armed forces and denotes you lack maturity. Frankly I am surprised, as an officer I expected you would be more informed about the isues, in order to make an intelligent well thought out argument. I certainly hope you did not graduate from Officer training near the top of the class, it would show poor judgment and perhaps apparent relaxation of the criteria to achieve officer rank in the USAF. Good luck to you and hopefully you will not be asked to bomb your people in a future american muscle flexing.

Comment

Unfortunately "some mighty nations" are breeding a bunch of parasites with no values or self respect whatsoever but looking after the easy"buck" they can get. The tiny crumb. But I blame it to two, count them, two generations ago. I mean the grandparents and I dont see any hope! It will only get worse. This poor children will never have a clue and God forbid they read history books! Its a pathetic and sad story and there is nothing we can do. I hope Im wrong!

Comment

THE ONLY PARASITE HERE IS YOU JOSEUNO, GO TO CUBA INDEPENDENTISTA AND GET USED TO LIVING LIKE THAT AND THEN TALK!!!
          THANK GOD FOR THE DISITIONS ARE FORFATHERS DID FOR US , WE ARE INJOYING IT NOW!!!

PUERTO RICO 51!!!!

Comment

Abejorro, Abejorro, Abejorro ! ! !

Must you attack people personally? It shows an inability to debate ideology that you are compelled to call people names. What are you 12?

Have you lived in Cuba? Do you even know anyone who has visited Cuba in the last 20 years? or do you just buy in blindly to the US engineered anti-Cuba propaganda. Wake-up, panin, the Cold War is over, the McCarthy era is over.

I have been to Cuba 5 times in 15 years. The most recent trip ( last year ) to receive treatment for a skin depigmentation problem for which the only known cure and treatment was discovered in Cuba ).

While there are shortages of things in Cuba ( thanks to the US embargo ) people in Cuba are not dying of hunger, have access to Superior health services and free education.

How necessary is it for humans to have access to 40 brands of ketchup, mayonnaise and blue jeans in their markets? That is all that Cuba lacks, access to a wide range of products that it is prevented from buying because of the US embargo.

Quite frankly, they are better off without it.
            Que Viva Puerto Rico Libre.

Comment

Ines:

If you like it so much why don't you move to the Worker's Paradise of Cuba? If I had some spot that I deemed to be Paradise I would sell my house and everything I had to move myself and my family to that spot. Seems that your admiration of Cuba is only skin deep.

Comment

Cagueno:

I loved the pun. Very cute.

I never once used the word "paradise" to describe Cuba. My point was that not everything that glitters is gold - and on the same token not everything that we are told by the US counterintelligence agencies is bad, is bad. People should seek out information from varied sources and make up their own minds.

About living in Cuba, maybe if I were Cuban I would go live and work there. But I am Puerto Rican, and I prefer to live where I can be of service to my fellow Puerto Ricans and where I can participate in the politics affecting Puerto Rico.

The "love it or leave it" mentality is very disingenious and implies that people have to be complacent. I will never cease to speak out about the inequities of modern society. It is only through this most democratic of processes that political and socio-economic gains are made.

And by the way, my name is not Ines.
                Que Viva Puerto Rico Libre.

Comment

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THAT THE MAJORITY OF PUERTO RICANS HAVE VOTED AGAINST STATEHOOD
                  IN EVERY OPPORTUNITY GIVEN,THEY DONT AGREE TO
                  WHICH STATUS THEY WANT BUT THEY DONT WANT STATEHOOD THE MAJORITY AGREE TO THAT.
                  THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS WILL NOT ADD A SPANISH SPEAKING STATE TO THE UNION THAT IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE THOSE WHO CLAIM THEY ARE AMERICANS U.S.CITIZENS YES BUT IN CULTURE YOU ARE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE AMERICANS
                  STOP SELLING YOUR BIRTHRIGHT!
                  LISTEN TO ME I LIVE IN A STATE AND STATEHOOD
                  HAS NOT HELPED THE PUERTO RICANS HERE "EL BARRIO" IS A TERRIBLE PLACE .
                  IT IS SAD TO SEE OUR COMMUNITY LIVE THIS WAY!

Comment

I was Born in Ramey Air Force Base. That was in Aguadilla. I understand that the Aguadilla Regional College of the UPR is now instead. I Spoke English the first years of my life as well as Spanish. This is what we are. A pure bilingual Society. Once you come over and live in the Mainland you will become aware of what you really are. American US is NUM. 1 because that is us. Look around have you ever been at a traffic jam at "la 65 de Infanteria" none other than the 65th Infantery. We are no newcomers to this. The only reason why we don't have Statehood is Ignorance. Lazyness plays a big part also. La vagansia, los cupones, y las
                    excusas para todo. Resultados positivos son el producto directo del esfuerso metodicamente planeado, premeditado, e implementado. Cuando nosotros los Boricuas nos damos cuenta de las circunstancias con las que breguan todos los hipanos de otras naciones entonces es que nos damos cuenta de la realidad. Si por mi fuera lla habrian State Troppers en la isla matando criminales. Feliz Navidad y Prospero ano 2000.

------------------
                    Mario Rodriguez
                    Mario Rodriguez

Comment

HunterWolf,

Damn dog you dropped a bomb in the purest form possilble! I feel you 100%!

Peace Peace

Comment

SAD SAD SAD

I feel for you people that do not have any desire to be free and independent... It is just not the American Way... People fight for their freedom.. you will not be respected if you do not clamor for self determination. Doiesn't the uniqueness of Puerto Rico derves to be preserved!!
                        Don't you have any spine in you... what with this America love it or leave it... it sure sounds funny hearing it from someone alien no matter if you're in the military.

Comment

Working...
                        X