PR 51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR 51

The reality is that Puerto Rico is already a state in every way, except of course officially. Considering that 98 percent of Puerto Ricans want to remain part of the USA, Independence is an option that we simply do not want. Regardless of what the 2 percent indepndistas say. Common Wealth worked for many years. But all it does now is hold us back and keeps us in limbo.

Commonwealth is what has allowed our people to think and to talk about its options. Without it, you'd be living in an American ghetto with Northerners running the show that should be yours. They could've simply taken us, like Hawaii or Alaska or most of Native North America. Just take their **** and find a way to keep them quiet and content. That is what they intended, but the climate of the international community did not allow it, and Commonwealth was born.

What kind of fool gives away self-governance for membership in a club that doesn't want him, and surely will find ways to simply ignore him and go about its business unaffected by his presence? The docile, Puerto Rican fool.
    A map of the world that does not
    include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the
    one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity
    lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail.
    Progress is the realisation of Utopias.
    OSCAR WILDE

Comment

No one is disputing the fact that Common Welath was helpful and allowed P.R. to thrive. However, the reality is that Common Wealth has outlived it's puprose. It only holds us back now and keeps us in limob. As far as your referring the "docile" Puerto Rican. The only ones that can be best defined as "docile" are the handful that want indepedence. 98 percent of Puerto Ricans have alraady made it clear what they want. And that is to remain Americans.

Comment

IT IS TRULY A SHAME THAT SO MANY BORICUAS
        WANT TO GIVE UP THEIR BIRTHRIGHT AND BECOME
        "AMERICANS"WHATS FUNNY IS THAT THEY WILL NEVER BE CONSIDERED AMERICAN AMONG AMERICANS
        YET THEY CONTINUE TO HUMBLE THEMSELVES STATING "I AM A GOOD AMERICAN BOSS,I KNOW MY
        PLACE"LIKE LEMMINGS GOING OVER THE CLIFF THEY
        ARE FOLLOWERS,PROGRAMED TO THINK OF THEMSELVES INFERIOR THAT PUERTO RICANS CANT GOVERN THEMSELVES,AND THEY ARE LEAD BY CORRUPT GOV.ROSELLO,AND THE HEAD VENDEPATRIA
        CARLOS ROMERO BARCELO WHO,LIKE MONICA LEWINSKY,SPENDS HIS TIME ON HIS KNEES BEFORE
        CLINTON,IT IS TIME TO STEP OUT ON OUR OWN,
        OUR DESTINY IS OURS NOT THEIRS,LETS GROW UP
        IT TIME TO LEAVE HOME,AND LIVE ON OUR OWN
        NOT KEEP BEGGING FOR HANDOUTS AND WAITING FOR A STATEHOOD THAT WILL NEVER COME,THE U.S.
        GOVERNMENT DOES NOT WANT A "QUEBEC" OR A
        "NORTHERN IRELAND" IN THE U.S.A.

Comment

El Boricua, in your reply you said that you felt it was a shame that so many boricuas want to give up their birthright and become "Americans". What birthright? We were all born Americans. We are already Amercians. This misconception that we are not considered Americans is pure garbage. No one is humbling themseleves here at all. The reality and fact here is that we were all born Americnas. Again no one is disputing the fact the Puerto Rico can survive if we were independent. Of course we would survive. But that's not the point here. The point here is that we do not want independnece. We want to remain part of the USA. We will never be another Quebec or Northern Ireland. We need to all come togther and finally decide between the only two viable options. Statehood or Independence. As long as Common Wealth is an option we will always remain one, and by doing so we will remain in limbo. Common Wealth suited it's purpose long ago. If the choices were Statehood or Independence there would be a landslide for statehood.

Comment

Independistas share the same traits. You guys try to confuse the issue by making such comments like "they do not want us", etc. This is nonsense. We need to decide for oursleves first before anything will happen. I think you guys are running scared. So instead of respecting the will of the people, you will find excuses for not excepting the people's choice. That's truly a shame.

Comment

MI AMIGO,PLEASE GET IT STRAIGHT IT IS ROSELLO
              WHO DOES NOT RESPECT THE WISHES OF THE MAJORITY,IN ALL THE PLEBECITES THE PEOPLE
              HAVE REJECTED STATEHOOD BUT HE CONTINUES TO
              WASTE MONEY ON MORE AND MORE PLEBECITES.
              DID YOU KNOW THAT PUERTO RICO ONCE ASKED TO BE ADMITTED TO THE UNION AND WAS REJECTED
              STUDY YOUR HISTORY,HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WILL NOT BECOME A QUEBEC OR NORTHERN IRELAND CAN
              YOU SEE INTO THE FUTURE,I GO BY OUR PAST
              THERE HAVE BEEN NATIONALIST WHO HAVE TAKEN
              A VIOLENT ROUTE,I DONT SEE THAT CHANGING
              AS FOR NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNDER STATEHOOD
              PLEASE CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING SITE: WWW.US-ENGLISH.ORG/FOUNDATION/PRISSUE.HTM
              AND TO END THIS I AM A U.S.CITIZEN I AM NOT
              AN "AMERICANO" NEVER WILL BE.

Comment

Actually the international community had nothing to do with the US involvement in Puerto Rico. The US took it in 1898, in 1912 the first world war broke out and the US went into isolation after that. The depression hit until the second world war in 1940, and then after that the US was the dominent power. Europe was in no shape to dictate policy on Puerto Rico to us. We were rebuilding them with the Marshall Plan. The cold war happened after that and you were either "with us" or "against us". So the international community has never stopped the US from doing what it liked in Puerto Rico. Even now, only Cuba is trying to sponcer a vote at the UN on Puerto Rico. I dont' see England, Canada, China, South Africa, or Brazil too concerned with Puerto Rico. Also what is it that the US has done that is so bad?
                Here is a question for El Boricua because I'm very curious.
                Do you vote in US elections? President, Governor, Senete, House, Mayor, etc.?

One more thing...if we don't want a Quebec or Northern Ireland why is the US letting in so many immigrants that don't speak English? Wouldn't you consider Miami a Quebec? The community there speaks mostly Spanish (and their numbers are growing). In NYC the Bronx is 60% Latin with Puerto Ricans making up most of that number. Is that like a northern Ireland? I'm just curious as to what you think is a Northern Ireland and a Quebec.

[This message has been edited by keeptrying (edited 22 February 2000).]

Comment

KEEPTRYING WHATS UP,
                  WELL I WILL TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS THE
                  BEST I COULD,THOUGH I AM NOT AS ELOUQUENT AS
                  OTHERS WHO WRITE HERE.
                  WHEN I SAY NORTERN IRELAND OR QUEBEC I WANT TO SHOW THAT THESE AREAS HAVE ACTIVE SEPARATIST PARTIES,IN WHICH PEOPLE DO NOT FEEL PART OF THE BIG PICTURE,AND ULTIMATELY
                  VIOLENCE COMES INTO PLAY,LOOK AT THE BASQUE
                  IN SPAIN IF PUERTO RICO WERE TO BECOME A STATE DOWN THE LINE I ASSURE YOU THIS WILL HAPPEN.
                  THE UNITED STATES HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING WRONG
                  EXCEPT FOR VIEQUES,I AM NOT ANTI-AMERICAN
                  I AM PRO-INDEPENDENCE.
                  YES I DO VOTE AND I PAY TAXES,IN A DEMOCRACY
                  YOUR POWER IS YOUR VOTE.
                  I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL
                  COMMUNITY AT THIS TIME,I JUST BELIEVE IN THE
                  INDEPENDENCE OF PUERTO RICO.

Comment

El, Rosello keeps on trying becuase Common Wealth is not and should not be considered a permenant status. Also, why do independistas constanatly say that statehood was rejected? Don't you guys realize that this logical also means that independence was rejected as well. It was rejected BIG TIME. Statehood was not rejected. It almost got half the vote. As opposed to Independence which got a mere 2 percent. You cannot ignore half the population. You can however, ignore 2 percent.

I agree when you say that there are some who have taken a violent route. The reason why P.R. will never be another Quebec or Northern Ireland is because those who have taken this violent route are a tiny fraction of the population. They never had nor will they ever have any support from Puerto Rico. I think that this notion that Independisats actually have power is nonsense. No one pays any mind to them in Puerto Rico.

Comment

El, your caring about Puerto Rico's future is an honerable thing. And it's obvious that you truly beleieve that Puerto Rico should be independent. The reality however is that the people of Puerto Rico do not want independence. Therefore, we should all respect that. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know by reading my postings that I am pro statehood. I am. I believe that it is the best thing for us and for the future of our children and their children. However, if our people voted for indepedence I would supprot and respect that decision. I don't think too many independisats could say the same. Think about it. Yes, you want independence. But do you want it at all costs? At the expense of the people? Unfortunately most of the pro indepedence people I have encountered are so obsessed with independence that they have totally lost perspective. They simply cannot accept the fact that we don't want indepedence.

Comment

CNSTRGUY,
                        THE PEOPLE OF PUERTO RICO HAVE BEEN FORCED
                        FED A LITANY OF ANTI-INDEPENDENCE PROPAGANDA
                        FOR YEARS,FIRST IT WAS THE COMMUNIST WILL
                        TAKE OVER THE ISLAND,THEN IT'S YOU WILL STARVE TO DEATH ALL IS B.S.,THE PEOPLE HAVE
                        NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO MAKE A CLEAR CHOICE.
                        YOU HAVE HEARD ABOUT "EL CARPETEO" OF PEOPLE
                        WHO FAVORED INDEPENDENCE,FOR THE PURPOSE OF
                        DISCRIMINATION.
                        WHAT WILL PEOPLE WHO ADVOCATE STATEHOOD DO
                        WHEN THE U.S.CONGRESS DEMAND THAT ENGLISH
                        BE THE PRIMARY LANGUAGE IN PUERTO RICO,THAT
                        THE CHILDREN BE TAUGHT IN ENGLISH.
                        OUR CULTURE WILL BEGIN TO BE ERODED AND NO
                        MAYBE NOT IN OUR LIFETIME BUT IT IS INEVITABLE THAT OUR CULTURE WILL DISAPPEAR,
                        THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT.
                        THERE WILL BE PEOPLE WHO CHANGE THEIR MINDS
                        ONCE ITS TOO LATE,PEOPLE WHO GET LEFT BEHIND
                        BECAUSE THEY SPEAK NO ENGLISH,MANY COMPANIES
                        WILL LEAVE BECAUSE AS A STATE THE ISLAND WILL
                        LOOSE MANY TAX BREAKS.
                        THE RASCISM THAT EXISTS IN THE U.S. WILL WORK
                        ITS WAY INTO PUERTO RICO.
                        STATEHOOD WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE THAT
                        PUERTO RICO AND THE U.S. CAN MAKE.
                        PUERTO RICO SHOULD BE AN INDEPENDENT NATION.
                        THAT IS MY DREAM,AND IT MAY TAKE YEARS BUT I
                        BELIEVE IT WILL HAPPEN.

[This message has been edited by EL BORICUA (edited 23 February 2000).]

Comment

El, the anti indepedence propganda started within the Independence Party. Regardless, we don't want indepedence. Instead of respecting that fact independistas go on and on with excuses as to why we don't want indepedence. Our people aren't stupid. If the Indepedence movement is dead or dying, you only have the Indepedence Party to blame. You claim that we haven't been able to make a clear choice. Is that because the choice isn't for independence? Would you claim the same if it were? I think not.

You mention the culture accept. There are many culutres that coexist in the USA. Familes and individuals are responsible for the continuation of culutre. Not government. You mention that our culture will be eroded. Let me address that with an example. When the sale of the telephone company was taking place to a US company, there was, as usual, a small protest by a few independistas. On the news, they interviewed one of the protesters. He stated that this sale is the start of us losing our culutre and way of life.

However, the ironic part of this statement was that he was wearing a "bud light" T shirt and standing in front of a Burger King in Puerto Rico. Do you see where I'm going with this? We are already American in many ways. Our culture, like all cultures has already evolved. And will continue to do so. But we have also, and will always retain the best parts of our culutre, like all other cultures do. This is what America and being Americans is all about.

You talk about racism. Racism is racism. And it is wrong. But tell me. Isn't it racist to call other Americans "gringo". Isn't it also racist to consdier other hispanic groups our "brothers" but not our own fellow citizens? Is this also racist? Of course it is. But conveniently it's over looked by independisats. Because to acknowlegde it means also to expose yourself to looking like a hypocrite.

You call Independence "your dream". With all due respect, that's all it is. A dream. YOUR dream. Not ours. Not Puerto Ricans. We don't want it. Remember in a democracy what matters is what the people want as a whole.

Comment

WELL MY FRIEND WHEN THE STATEHOOD ACHIEVES
                            A 75% OR MORE VOTE THEN WE WHO ADVOCATE
                            INDEPENDENCE WOULD HAVE TO GIVE UP.
                            UNTIL THEN WE MUST KEEP THE STRUGGLE GOING WHILE ATTEMPTING TO EDUCATE THE PEOPLE BOTH PUERTORICANS AND AMERICANOS THAT THE RIGHT CHOICE IS INDEPENDENCE,WE WILL CONTINUE BECAUSE IN A DEMOCRACY WE HAVE THAT FREEDOM.
                            YOU WROTE THAT THE INDEPENDENCE PARTY STARTED
                            THE ANTI-INDEPENDENCE PROPAGANDA,YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT?
                            HOW ABOUT "EL CARPETEO" WE START THAT TOO?

[This message has been edited by EL BORICUA (edited 23 February 2000).]

Comment

I'M BACK TO SHARE A LITTLE SOMETHING ON A RECENT SURVEY IN VIEQUES THE RESIDENTS WERE ASKED THAT IF THE ELECTION WERE HELD TODAY
                              WHO WOULD YOU VOTE FOR:

6% NOT VOTING
                              6% UNDECIDED
                              16% CARLOS PESQUERA (PNP)
                              25% RUBEN BERRIOS (PIP)
                              41% SILA CALDERON (PPD)
                              ONE TOWN AT A TIME,ONE ELECTION AT A TIME WE WILL PREVAIL.

Comment

Working...
                              X