No announcement yet.

How do we reduce the murder rate in PR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we reduce the murder rate in PR?

I just learned that the murder rate of New York City went down from the days of the Dinkins Administration 2300 per year to the present 600 per year.

Now we know that in tiny PR with a third of the population of NYC the murder rate is around 1300 per year.

How would you guys reduce the murder rate short of imposing the Death Penalty?

Any ideas that work?

------------------
    Manuel Alonso

FIRST YOU HAVE TO TRAIN A MORE PROFESSIONAL
    POLICE FORCE AND PAY THEM ACCORDINGLY,YOU
    MUST HAVE AN EFFECTIVE INTERNAL AFFAIRS TO
    HANDLE ANY CORRUPTION AND ABUSES.
    YOU MUST TRY TO RECRUIT PEOPLE WITH DEGREES,
    AND YOU MUST LET THEM GO AFTER CRIMINALS
    AGGRESSIVELY,MOST MURDERS IN PUERTO RICO ARE
    DRUG RELATED,STOPPING THE FLOW OF DRUGS MUST
    BE FIRST ON THE LIST.
    THERE ALSO HAS TO BE A GOVERNMENT THAT IS NOT
    CORRUPT,A GOVERNMENT THT LEADS BY EXAMPLE AND
    I DONT MEAN A CORRUPT EXAMPLE,HOW CAN THIS GOVERNMENT FIGHT THE STREET CRIME WHEN IN ITS
    TOO BUSY TRYING TO DEFEND CORRUPT BUREAUCRATS
    ITS NOT POSSIBLE.

[This message has been edited by EL BORICUA (edited 28 March 2000).]

Comment

You are right Boricua. One of the key ingredients of the murder reduction in NYC is the big increase in police activity.

Policemen (or policepersons) have to be smarter than criminals, otherwise the criminals will always be one step ahead. Education should be a must for PR State Troopers; they should be required to have at least a Two Year Degree (Associate Degree).

Also, they should have an IQ of 100 at least [and that is an average IQ].

But more important than requiring them an education is to recruit MANY. I think that the PR Government should double, or triple its state police force.

Also, the pay should reward for the hazard. In PR they should be earning about $40K on average.

Another thing that will help is to increase the fines. In NYC a speeding ticket is several hundred dollars. It is painful, but it helps one to avoid them. [If my mommy only gave me sweet talk instead of spanking me I would have turned into a spoiled kid.]

About corrupt governments; no country in the entire planet is without corruption. But, a government can try to be the least corrupt it can. In the case of the MD turned Gorvernor, I think he is a weak narcissistic person. Even Charlie Horse was better than him. Sila doesn't seem to me to be better than Hillary Rodham. The PNP kid Engineer [and I am one] doesn't seem any better than the "lambeojos" I have seen at my former office. The PIP's Ruben, he is Don Quijote, all ideals and nothing of reality. I wish there was a Prosecutor Type like Giulliani to crack the whip on crime. But then I don't know whatever happened to Rivera Cruz [remember Maravilla?].

Bottom line: if we are to become a State, or become a Republic, we must eliminate first the LAWLESSNESS that is currently destroying our Island.

------------------
      desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa
      desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa: Manuel Alonso "El Jíbaro"

Comment

it's so sad...our island is so small...and we have so many problems. it's hard to know where to start. a lot of prayer, a lot of hard work, and a lot of cooperation from government and from the people themselves. if we want things to be better, WE have to start it. WE have to lift ourselfs out of the dirt to rise above.

------------------
        Nicoletta
        ;oD

Nicoletta
        ;oD

Comment

El Jibaro,

I agree with what El Boricua is correct but the Police in Puerto Rico have improve incredibly in these recent years. Now what do we also do with all the police being killed, yes that is correct 1999 we only fell short to California. We have to deal with this and many other problems that our Police in Puerto Rico incounter.
          HUMANS ARE RELUCTANT TO CHANGE, BUT CHANGE IS ONLY A PART OF EVOLUTION, ONE THAT WE NOR ANYONE ELSE CAN AVOID!

Comment

Ok, I've got a couple of suggestions, that I believe are rather good but some more conservative members of this discussion might find appaling. First get the Marines out of Vieques, second instead of maintaining this economically taxing and silly war against drugs, legalize them and tax the hell out of them. After all who's the government to tell us how we can harm ourselves. And when I say legalize drugs I mean ALL of them. obviously the war against drugs isn't working, all that anyone needs to get some Marijuana for example is 6 bucks and half an hour, Extasy you can find in any club, and Dealers are just antsy with all the acid they want off their hands. I don't believe that drugs are good or good for you (except maybe weed if used properly) but if you can't beat them use them for your own good. Plus a legal market of drugs would bring about less harmful versions, than the chemically unstable horrors we have out there right now. Besides being controlled by supermarkets and convenience stores instead of 16 - 22 year old dealers age limitations could be put on them like 18 as cigarettes are. Plus also as cigarettes, taxes could prove rather welcome for the economy, think about it. A pack of cigarettes sells for about 2.50 depending on where you are, without taxes it would be about 2 dollars, on the opther hand enough weed for a single Marijuana Joint goes for about 2 dollars in the more stable markets and for as much as 15 in those with a low quantity of product and high demand. Now make those 2 dollars into a 24 pack as cigarettes are it turns into 48 dollars apply taxes on it and you add 12 dollars of economic growth for every pack of weed you sell of course taxes on presently ilegal drugs would probably be much higher than those of Tobacco or Alcohol. Besides all this, gang wars over drug selling territory would be greatly reduced, as well as drug-debt associated murders, munggings for crack money, ect... all these evils would be greatly reduced if the government just decided to legalize drugs and take control of them. As we all know drugs are a huge multi-Billion dollar industry on the island and most murders are based on the existence of this presently ilegal industry. Now think what would happen if the government took control of it?

I hope I make sense, any discrepancies from ny Ideas please respond on this board.

Comment

Pablo,

Concerning your comments getting the marines out of vieques will not resolve crime in any way shape or form and another thing it is part of a complete different topic. Now your drug comment have you thought this out completely? what do we do with do people that will steal, kill to get money to still be able to pay for drugs this may deter people from wanting to sell but will it stop those that will still do it illegally, remember one thing these are the ones that run our streets.
              HUMANS ARE RELUCTANT TO CHANGE, BUT CHANGE IS ONLY A PART OF EVOLUTION, ONE THAT WE NOR ANYONE ELSE CAN AVOID!

Comment

Sorry for the small marines comment. The way I see it it's still happenning now at least we reduce some of the crimes that come with drugs I never said all of them. Although with legal drugs I think many would be deferred from these actions.

Comment

Pablo,

I got you and understood your message. Hey you was making a point and you have all the right to make your opinions known.

Comment

PABLO,
                    YOU ARE RIGHT THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THIS DRUG
                    MESS IS TO LEGALIZE IT,TAX IT,REGULATE IT
                    TAKE THE PROFITS AWAY FROM ORGANIZED CRIME,
                    LET LOCAL GOVERNMENTS MAKE SOME MONEY FOR
                    DRUG EDUCATION AND TREATMENT,DURING THE
                    PROHIBITION ERA THE SAME THING HAPPENED
                    GANGS CONTROLED THE ALCOHOL AND CRIME GOT
                    OUT OF CONTROL.
                    THE WAR ON DRUGS IS A JOKE THEY DONT EVEN
                    STOP THE FLOW,POLICE OFFICERS DIE,AND I BELIEVE THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT HAVE THE
                    B@!!$ TO FIGHT THIS WAR THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

Comment

It is well documented, in the form of testimony of retired FBI and CIA Agenst) that the US is not legitimately interested in combatting drug trafficking. In fact ( think Panama and Noriega) in some instances we have aided and abetted known drug traffickers for long periods of time, in order to gain a political advantage. We must also remember how many Senators, Congressmen, mayors of Cities and Governors have been convicted on drug related charges, including possession for personal use. The corrupt elite of this Nation profit greatly from the illegal drug trade. They have no interest in legalizing it, taxing it and/or regulating it. If they really did, it would have been done a long time ago. We put men on the moon, we put satellites in space - we could take control of drug trafficking if we wanted to. Therein lies the rub. Those in power, really don't want to. We must consistently ask ourselves why? And we must ask it of those people who we vote into public office.

Acquiesence is ratification. We must not be silent.
                      Que Viva Puerto Rico Libre.

Comment

DOES ANYONE HAVE INDEPTH INFO ABOUT
                        A COURT CASE "BALZAC V. PORTO RICO" A
                        CASE FROM 1922 IN WHICH THE SUPREME COURT
                        DECIDED THAT THE CONSTITUTION DID NOT
                        APPLY TO A US TERRITORY THAT WAS NOT
                        INCORPORATED IN THE UNION.

[This message has been edited by EL BORICUA (edited 21 April 2000).]

Comment

Boricua,

Look in this site, www.historychannel.com, you will find some information on this case and many more topics which we have talked about.
                          Now on to what you stated on legalizing drugs, that is all fine what will you do with the crime that comes from this? Remember the government increased the prices on cigarrettes thinking that it would make people quit, here we still find that many people continue to smoke.

Comment

CLEARLY IT IS NOT A CURE ALL BUT IT DOES
                            TAKE THE PROFITS AWAY FROM ORGANIZED CRIME
                            DRUG TREATMENT AND EDUCATION HAS TO CONTINUE,
                            THE ALTERNATIVE IS FOR THE U.S.A.F. TO
                            NAPALM EVERY COCA AND OPIUM FIELD AROUND THE
                            WORLD,SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE WHY NOT TRY
                            MAKING IT LEGAL.

Comment

El Boricua,

I do agree with you one some of your teory but I must stand with two wrongs will never make a right. I guess there will never be a quick fix to this problem that steals so much from our people and the entire world.

Comment

Working...
                              X