moving to P.R looking for schools that speak only english

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving to P.R looking for schools that speak only english

Hi I'm hoping to move to P.R by summer but I have three kids that speak only english, so I need to find a school near morovis that teaches in english only if anyone could please give me a few names I would be greatful. Thanx jenn

Buena suerte

Well, why don't you try home school.Is really good,I have a friend that has home school and he is very smart and he likes it becuase he learns more and he doesn't have all the stress that public schools put on your kids.I wish you good luck

Comment

Jenn this is a magnificent opportunity for you and your children to learn some

SPANISH don't you think? You will never lose your English (after all it is your native language) foreign language fluency or study is a requirement Jenn. But Puerto Rico presents you with the unique opportunity to learn Spanish well. And nowadays, in order to graduate from most accredited colleges in Puerto Rico or the USA (which by the way are held to the same academic standards except the Puerto Rican universities have all main subjects taught in Spanish and English and in some cases a third foreign language is strongly encouraged). Why don't you want your kids speaking Spanish Jenn? Is it you fear they might fall behind their schoolwork? Or is it something that has to do with not wanting to mix with the natives? Because if it is the latter and not the former.....I hope you never move to Puerto Rico....Puerto Rico does not need linguistic apartheid North Americans who think they are better than the natives living amongst them...lol.

Hope you are just insecure and unsure about your kids new experiences and not a racist Jenn.....
      Multilingualism is not only desirable and SUPERIOR to monolingualism, (and if you believe in marketable skills for your kids to acquire, you better dump the English only garbage and think English Plus...cuz I work in the states and my company pays multilinguals and bilinguals more than their monolingual All-American English only employees). And there are excellent schools in Puerto Rico both private and some public....Morovis is rural and a small town....much more SPANISH ONLY people in those small towns...lol. Be willing to be stuck in frustrating traffic jams...and be present in a long and frustrating commute to either Ponce, Mayaguez or San Juan to an English speaking school (in which Spanish is strongly encouraged as well). I could give you names of great schools, my father and mother were both educators with advanced degrees who know all the best schools and education programs on the island.....but that English only statement totally turned me off....I am going to leave you in ignorance until you tell me why you want English only for your children....if it is some prejudiced and ignorant reason....you are gonna struggle by yourself or at least are not gonna get my help.

Suki.

[Edited by Suki on 1st March 2002 at 04:52]

Comment

Jenn

Why limit your children? I don't understand your rationalization. Children are resilient. They are smart, absorb a lot and the younger they are, the faster they will learn another language. Why stop them?

My parents moved to Puerto Rico several times, when I was a young child. I can't say it was easy, however, by the end of the school year, I went from not knowing any Spanish to being fluent in the language. I remember my Spanish teacher in Puerto Rico coming over my house to tell my mom that I needed extra help with my Spanish. I don't recall that ever occuring in a US school, my parents met the teachers only when parent conferences were available.

I have many nieces and nephews, whose parents constantly moved from the US to Puerto Rico, as I did. It so happens that these young people are the most sucessful in their careers. Being bilingual is an asset not a frailty. It has helped my income surpass many of my cronies.

Don't limit your children for many people don't have the opportunity of learning a language by being directly in the country, that my friend, is the best gift you can give your children.

Much respect!

Comment

Hi Leticia such a Lady and so respectful as always...lol

Originally posted by Leticia_g
          Why limit your children? I don't understand your rationalization. Children are resilient. They are smart, absorb a lot and the younger they are, the faster they will learn another language. Why stop them?

My parents moved to Puerto Rico several times, when I was a young child. I can't say it was easy, however, by the end of the school year, I went from not knowing any Spanish to being fluent in the language. I remember my Spanish teacher in Puerto Rico coming over my house to tell my mom that I needed extra help with my Spanish. I don't recall that ever occuring in a US school, my parents met the teachers only when parent conferences were available.

I have many nieces and nephews, whose parents constantly moved from the US to Puerto Rico, as I did. It so happens that these young people are the most sucessful in their careers. Being bilingual is an asset not a frailty. It has helped my income surpass many of my cronies.

Don't limit your children for many people don't have the opportunity of learning a language by being directly in the country, that my friend, is the best gift you can give your children.

Much respect!
          Some people Leticia limit their children due to their own ignorant notions....it is a sad fact of life.

Comment

Working...
          X