Down with Spanish Names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down with Spanish Names

Since the Spaniards were the Europeans to first set their foot OFFICIALLY in America, and because these IMPERIALISTIC Europeans came to steal, rape and kill all the Native Americans we should BAN all persons with a Spanish NAME out of the face of the Earth .......

------------------
    Manuel Alonso

OYE JIBARO NO SEA IGNORANTE,TU NOMBRE ES
    UN NOMRE ESPANOL,TMBIEN ESO ES PARTE LA HISTORIA,A ELLOS LOS CULPABLESES ESTAN MUERTOS
    EL RESTO NOTIENEN LA CULPA,,ES COMO TODOS
    LOS P.RIQUENOS NO SON TERORISTAS. COMO LOS
    INDEPENDNTISTAS!!!!!!!!

Comment

Manuel,
      Without our name we are nothing. It is part of our heritage and roots. If we were to kill everyone that has any significant spanish name we would be left with nothing but the people who have mixed with anglos and in some cases not even that because they would have mixed with the spanish already. I can't understand your logic. Please explain yourself.
      Leticia

Comment

Hey Lou-lou and Leticia, DON'T YOU SEE THE IRONY ?

We are SPANISH descendants and there are some of us here that want to renounce Cristopher Colombus? Might as well curse our names ...

After all is said and done, we ARE SPANIARDS.

------------------
        Manuel Alonso

Comment

Manuel,
          Ahora comprendo en lo que referia.
          Leticia

Comment

The objection some have to the celebration of Christopher Columbus has to do with the fact that he has been called the discoverer of the Americas. It has nothing to do with Spain, especially since Columbus was Italian and not a Spaniard. The anti- Christopher Columbus school of thought seeks to give those who truly discovered the Americas credit. The campaign is an attempt to bring these very first people to their proper place in history. A History which much too frequently has treated indigenous people as if they did not exist. A History that has tended to exaggerate the accomplishments of the European settlers while ignoring how they were aided from the very first time they set foot on the Americas by the tribal people who they found here. The truth is that Columbus, would have never found his way back to Europe, since he didn't even know where he was to begin with, had it not been for the generosity of the people he encountered in the Americas, who fed him and his expedition, sheltered them and pointed them back in the direction of home.

But you won't read much of these truths in the text books used to educate our children in this country. Therein lies the rub!

[This message has been edited by IDeJesus (edited 24 October 2000).]
            Que Viva Puerto Rico Libre.

Comment

Isabel:

If you look at my wife in the face you will see what happened to all the "indians" [i.e., Native Americans]. You see, my wife is SALVADORAN. You look at her face and you can see the face of a long-ago Maya Princess painted in the murals of one of those Maya ruins. We Puerto Ricans are the EXCEPTION.

In most of Hispanic America the "indian" ethnicity is not only a "genetic" marker, but a LIVING CULTURE that blended in PERFECTLY with the Spanish culture of 1500-1700. This is not so surprising, since the Spanish Culture itself is the "evolved" Roman Culture of 2000 years ago. Every time I go the Freehold Mall I marvel at seeing a Mexican cook making a "Gyro", which is the Mediterranean equivalent of a "Taco". This may be a "coincidence" [is it "> , but to me it is not, rather I see it as a CONVERGENCE of two different Peoples living in similar climatic conditions. Therefore, I thank God that it was not Nordic Pirates who colonized much of America but Spanish Peoples, who not only took over, but BLENDED IN PERFECTLY with the locals; because BOTH PEOPLES had SIMILAR cultures. And I say SIMILAR in the sense of APPROXIMATELY similar, not of exactly similar.

Thus, the Native Americans not only taught Spaniards about Maize, Cassava, Potatoes, Annato, turkeys, DAILY BATHS, etc., etc., but they are CURRENTLY an ACTIVE CULTURAL FORCE in most of Latin America. We in Puerto Rico are the ones MOSTLY MISSING OUT ON THIS !

Interestingly MOST PUERTO RICANS dislike Mexican "wetbacks" and similar Peoples from Central America, and when they come to live in Puerto Rico they stick out like a sore thumb. They are the DESCENDANTS of the Maya and the Aztecs and the Toltecs, and yet we "white" Puerto Ricans look down on them with disdain. You will not see one of their types winning a Miss Puerto Rico contest any time soon. In fact, MOST, if not ALL, Miss Puerto Rico contestants that go to the Miss Universe Pageant are "white" Spanish girls. WHY ? Your guess is as good as mine ...

------------------
              Manuel Alonso

Comment

Isabel:

Since when does the fact that Christforo Colombo not being a Spaniard "spare" us Spaniard-DESCENDANTS from "guilt" if we have an ANTI-COLOMBUS MOVEMENT?

Who SPONSORED the Expedition?

Who REWARDED him for going?

Who PAID for the Ships?

What was the LANGUAGE of the Ship names [Pinta, Nia & Santa Mara]?

From what country did most of the Sailors come from?

What People exploited these DISCOVERIES first?

Bah, it is CLEAR that the whole ANTI-COLOMBUS MOVEMENT is filled with BOGUS REASONING and AIR-HEAD IDEALISM .

Take a chair, cut its legs and try to sit on it, and you get the same effect .

------------------
                Manuel Alonso

Comment

There is more

Jibaro,

I like the use of your names Jibaro and Manuel Alonso which are really part of Puerto Rican History. Some of certain facts that history has failed to tell us are another mixture of Puerto Ricans, It is not just Spanish, black and Indian. Factoid, Spain was under the Arab rule for over 600 years, it was taken back over during the crusades.... However, Most of the crew ships that arrived from spain were really either mixed arabs or pure arabs. Trace: Our language is a mixture of root LAtin and gues what Arabian. examples: Ajola, we all use it as an expression but it really means God willing in arabic, Alhaundurila pronounce today by arabs, we use "arroz" they say "rroz" we say pantalon they say pantalon, alcantarilla, albanir, alfajia, alfiler and the list goes on. Architectura: Go to all of our pueblos and look at our arch figures go to Spain and then go to saudi Arabia you will be gasbing for air and you will see that that part of history has been taking away from us on purpose.

Comment

Let us not lay all the blame on
                    the Spanish though yes they
                    started it,the English,French
                    Portugues,Americans,Mexicans
                    all participated in the
                    slaughter of the native people
                    in the Americas.
                    About Columbus that happened
                    long ago I am not a Spaniard
                    I had nothing to do with it
                    although the truth should be
                    taught.
                    I dont know where you get
                    you info that most Boricuas
                    hate people from Central
                    America this is not true.
                    And why"blanquitas"win the
                    beauty contest well as an
                    advocate of statehood you
                    should know they are
                    just following the lead
                    and model of the American
                    idea of beauty I figured
                    you would like that.
                    About my spanish name I
                    am proud of it and intend
                    to keep it.

Comment

Re: There is more

Originally posted by conciencia
                      Jibaro,

I like the use of your names Jibaro and Manuel Alonso which are really part of Puerto Rican History. Some of certain facts that history has failed to tell us are another mixture of Puerto Ricans, It is not just Spanish, black and Indian. Factoid, Spain was under the Arab rule for over 600 years, it was taken back over during the crusades.... However, Most of the crew ships that arrived from spain were really either mixed arabs or pure arabs. Trace: Our language is a mixture of root LAtin and gues what Arabian. examples: Ajola, we all use it as an expression but it really means God willing in arabic, Alhaundurila pronounce today by arabs, we use "arroz" they say "rroz" we say pantalon they say pantalon, alcantarilla, albanir, alfajia, alfiler and the list goes on. Architectura: Go to all of our pueblos and look at our arch figures go to Spain and then go to saudi Arabia you will be gasbing for air and you will see that that part of history has been taking away from us on purpose.
                      SIN-ciencia:

If you look at the Diccionario de la Lengua de la Real Academia de la Lengua Espaola you will find more than 10,000 words there. Roughly 700 words in that Dictionary come from Arabic words. If you consider that the proof that Spaniards are Arabic you will have a shock when you find almost 1000 words are derived from Native American languages (does that make us full-blooded Native Americans?). If you look further, you will find that approximately half of our Spanish vocabulary is derived from Latin (does that make us Romans? I think so...). The rest of the Spanish words origins are either Germanic (Goths), or English, or French, or Italian. Even our word for BROTHER, [hermano], is really the word "German", not from the Latin word for brother, which is Frater.

So, SINciencia, instead of demanding that the GOVERNMENT educate the masses on Arabic Heritage, why don't you educate yourself first on Spanish History, Language and Culture. This information is ABUNDANTLY available in ALL OF THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES (and even High School libraries) of Puerto Rico. Remember, the onus is on the STUDENT to learn, not on the Teacher: you can take a mule to drink at the river's edge, but you cannot force it to drink).

Comment

Ignorance

Jibaro,

The problem here is that your one way intelligence affects your whole perview of reality, of course you see only what this institution wants you to see, further take indeph education of Spanish and Arab history as well as language in other highly regarded institution of other parts of the world, perhaps you will learn more than you think you know.

Comment

Sin en vez de con...

You couldn't refute any of the facts I stated. If you want to limit yourself to the world of the subjective, as you just have, you are certainly welcomed to it. I rather prefer facts: they are the substance of which the TRUTH is made of.

Comment

Even more ignorance

By Conciencia:
                            Our language is a mixture of root LAtin and guess what Arabian. examples: Ajola, we all use it as an expression but it really means God willing in arabic, Alhaundurila pronounce today by arabs, we use "arroz" they say "rroz" we say pantalon they say pantalon, alcantarilla, albanir, alfajia, alfiler and the list goes on. Architectura: Go to all of our pueblos and look at our arch figures go to Spain and then go to saudi Arabia you will be gasbing for air and you will see that that part of history has been taking away from us on purpose
                            By Jibaro:
                            If you look at the Diccionario de la Lengua de la Real Academia de la Lengua Espaola you will find more than 10,000 words there. Roughly 700 words in that Dictionary come from Arabic words. If you consider that the proof that Spaniards are Arabic you will have a shock when you find almost 1000 words are derived from Native American languages (does that make us full-blooded Native Americans?). If you look further, you will find that approximately half of our Spanish vocabulary is derived from Latin (does that make us Romans? I think so...). The rest of the Spanish words origins are either Germanic (Goths), or English, or French, or Italian. Even our word for BROTHER, [hermano], is really the word "German", not from the Latin word for brother, which is Frater.

Jibaro,

They way you twist thing is a great proof of your statehooters qualifications. If you read closely you will not find that I never said that Espanoles are Arabs. I said that Arabs were amoung those who arrived in the new world. That is why as you said we have words in our language. However you also said that half of our language is derived from Latin and that rest is from other european rooting. But you also said that 1000 words are native Indians. Mathematically, as you put it only 700 plus 1000 are Arab and Indians; out of 10,000 words 5,000 are latin and he other half is European rooting. So at least you do admit of the Arab influence as far as language, well how about the rest, customs, food, architecture and more. So you are going to stand there and say that there is no Arab influence ? come on Jibaro wake up and comply you are saying it yourself.

Comment

Spinning in the wind

I see that the only trick in your bag left is spin. Why am I not surprised...?

You did say that the Arabic influence is big. Well, how big?

Not big enough!

By the way, the people that inhabited southern Spain were ethnically Moroccan, which is not an Arabic ethnicity. Arabs are Semites, speakers of an Eastern Semitic language, Moroccans are a Hamitic people, speakers of a Hamitic language closely related to Coptic [old Egyptian].

You will be surprised about architecture: not everyone can afford to build an "Alhambra". Remember, Andaluca only makes up 20% of the territory of Spain, and even Castille by itself is bigger than Andaluca.

When you see a typical Spanish house what you see is a Roman house [even the indoor patio is a feature of the typical Roman villa]. When Arabs took over the southern portion of the Roman Empire they just absorved Roman architecture. Even domes, a feature of Arab architecture are just an evolution of the Byzantine Domes: not an innovation. The most famous mosque in Istambul was actually a Church built by an Eastern Roman Emperor (Constantine?): it was called the Church of Santa Sopha; remember Istambul was Constatinople before the Turks conquered it.

So we can go back and forth: you assuming the Arab influence to be huge, and me disproving your assertions with facts.

Anyway, the Spanish Culture is our main Culture, not the Arabic culture. Admit it panita, you really have a fixation with Islam.

Comment

Working...
                              X