Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about La in front of word?

When you say La Frente, I know these means “Forehead”

IF I wanted to say Forehead do I need to put the "La" in front of it? Isn't La the same as saying “The” in English?

Advanced Thanks

La is not "the".

La does not mean "the" all the time

Yes, you have to. The use of the definite article "la" refers to the gender (masculine/femenine) of the noun mentioned, which in the case of the part of the head (frente) is a feminine noun, hence the agreement between article and noun, la frente. El frente, which means the front of something, is in this case a masculine noun, hence the agreement between article and noun.

Comment

article difinite

In English there is only one definite article "the", Spanish uses four definite articles, and it depend of gender (feminine and masculine) and number (plural and singular).

El male-singular
      la feminine-singular
      los male-plural
      las feminine-plural

examples
      CASA it is a feminine word LA CASA
      CASAS LAS CASAS

CARRO it is a male word EL CARRO
      CARROS LOS CARROS

If you need more information, I can help you, just mail me
      to webmaster@speakteacher.com

I have a lot information about it.....

Comment

Wow, Thanks for this info, I’ve never heard of a definite Article before.
        Thanks to the both of you for the help!

So If I were talking about a Male wolf animal, I would say El Lobo and for the female wolf it would be la Lobo?

There is one thing I'm not clear one still: when you say LA CASA doses that mean the house is owned by a girl?
        In the case that a single divorced women owned the house, wouldn’t you say las CASA?

I’ll email you speaktacher, Thanks. Do you have any example sentences using all four words to better explain how and when to use them?

These really adds a new perspective on things, thanks guys!

Comment

El lobo, la loba, el lobito en la Gran Casona.

Articles is Spanish agree with the gender and # of the noun, el lobo-la loba, los lobos-las lobas.
          A man wears la corbata, which is a feminine noun, the speaker's gender does not determine the gender of the noun.

La casa de ella indicates that the house belongs to her. casa is always casa(s), regardless of who owns it.

"El lobo grande ya habia entrado a la casa y se habia vestido con las ropas de la anuelita de Caperucita. Al llegar a casa de su abuela, Caperucita entro en la casa y al mirar vio...

Comment

I'd suggest a good college level course or two.
            You'd learn all of this and would be able to at least understand spanish when it is spoken (including all the information discussed here) and maybe later speak it fluently yourself if you'd like..

Comment

Thanks Delgado22

Yes, that’s what I want to do real soon
              I’m actually taking a Spanish class that my local library is hosting for only 20 bucks. The teacher has a PHD in Spanish the only problem is its only 6 weeks /one class per week.
              Anyway, I’ve learned a lot so far and I have a few different computer programs that are good. There are a couple of Mexican girls I work with who have been helping which with the pronunciation of some of these words.
              But your right, I really need to dig down and take a real course.

Comment

One time, one of my mexican friends named Juan Ramon told me: "Dame la dictionary," "Give me the dictionary." But it's supposed to be "Dame el diccionario." That was funny. That's how my friends talk. They even get confused about when to use la or el. So they end up saying stuff like "el key" or "la dictionary."

Comment

Originally posted by Waveform View Post
                  When you say La Frente, I know these means “Forehead”

IF I wanted to say Forehead do I need to put the "La" in front of it? Isn't La the same as saying “The” in English?

Advanced Thanks
                  Yes, you should put LA before "frente". LA is an article, same as the in english. The only difference is we have masculine, femenine, plural and singular articles... oh, and neutral.

La Femenino singular
                  Las Femenino plural
                  El Masculino singular
                  Los Masculino plural
                  Lo neutro

Comment

La Frente-Forehead

Frente quiere decir FRONT-- para que no te confunda usa LA osea LA Frente...

In english LA takes the places of THE... The boy's forehead is clean / The is a demonstrative article in this case that applies to the spanish article LA. LA is feminine article... example La cara, La mano, La voz etc... You can't said FRENTE talking about anything in front of you- example- frente a mi, frente a la puerta etc... Remember always to used La that is singular, Las manos plural- it demonstrates a noun... In English you said a NOUN in Spanish El NOMBRE...

A noun for a person, place or thing... El Nombre pare persona, cosa o sitio.... by the way, I'm also learning Spanish... so please! BARE with me... LOL ... Blessings and good luck... Spanish is hard
                    Ja, Ja, Ja...

Comment

Working...
                    X