What is the correct spelling of "Boriqua"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the correct spelling of "Boriqua"

Can someone tell me how to spell boriqua i always thought it was qua i was just informed that it should be spelled BORICUA.

thanks,

jocelyn

Hey!
    I spell it Boricua. Wether is right or wrong I don't know. I know that when I write it no one has ever said if it's right or wrong. As long as you understand what I'm saying, Who cares?

------------------
    Mamichula

Mamichula

Comment

I DON'T KNOW THE REAL WAY EITHER. WHATEVER THE REAL WAY MY BE. I THINK THE WAY SPELLED WITH A Q CAME FROM THE WORD "BORIQUEN"
      WHICH IS THE FIRST ORIGINAL NAME OF PUERTO RICO GIVEN BY OUR INDIAN ANCESTORS THE
      "TAINO INDIANS" SOME DAYS I SPELL IT WITH A
      "C" & SOME DAYS WITH A "Q" WHATEVER FLOATS
      BY BOAT FOR THE DAY.

------------------
      STAR ESCOBAR:
      THE SHINING STAR OF THE
      CARIBBEAN!
      STAR ESCOBAR:
      THE SHINING STAR OF THE
      CARIBBEAN!

Comment

PIPIOLA DE HUMACAO:

OKAY, ONLY INDIA TAINA DE PUERT RICO (HUMACAO) AND independentista without VOTERS, I guess you haven't done your homework, because you're still as IGNORANT as those who think that Puerto Rico is a seperate country from the US.

On 27 March 1998 I was enjoying my life by going to a nice Mall, watching a good movie, eating in a nice Italian restaurant and later
        I went to a get together of REAL PUERTORRRRRRRIQUENOS BORICUAS. OH, I'm sorry I forgot TAINOS don't live by this life style and in another century.
        So I guess YOU and YOUR little group of LOONEY FRIENDS will get together the next time and say that the END of THE WORLD is 27 0f March 2000 and you will all make a trip to the HEAVENS. NICE trippppppppppppppppp UNOFICIAL INDIA TAINA.
        I know a good Doctor in Puerto Rico for you is name is Carlos Romero Barcelo and please STOP going to Dr. Ruben Berrios because you are getting worse every time you TALK.
        Last edited by admin; 24th April 2015, 07:09.

Comment

THE SPANISH SPELLING IS "BORICUA" BUT "BORIQUA" IS THE ENGLISH TERM. THE "Q" CAME IN WHEN TAKEN FROM "BORIQUENIO" WHICH IS THE TERM USED FOR NATIVES OF PUERTO RICO.SO,EITHER SPELLING IS CORRECT.
          PEACE , LOVE & MUCH RESPECTS...{BORIQUA}
          LoryAnne

Comment

With all due respect, it is "boricua" with a "c". I don't think there is a "boriqua" in the english langauge.

Comment

Ok,Now take out your parper and pens
              Time for history class.

To start,spelling is what ever suits you at the time.But the corect way is BRIQUA.
              Reason way? Let me tell you,the name of Isla is boriquen. white men came name it some thing else.then when then spanish,
              porto rico,then puerto rico came and stayed.Now in there the people got to thinking well what can we do for our selfs
              So some people stard to cut thurough.and took the name of the Isla From Tainos and made BORIQUA out of that. It's mor then that but this was easy and fun to do.

You all get an A for the day,

With my love you're alright.

Toma.r

Comment

La forma correcta de escribirlo es
                BORICUA. That's the right spellling.

------------------

á▀oricua69
                á▀oricua69

Comment

Siempre ha sido y sera "Boricua" en el alphabeto latino. Quien sabe como lo escribian los Tainos en su idioma escrito?
                  Que Viva Puerto Rico Libre.

Comment

The Taino spelling of the word Boricua would have been a stick figure, like +< . Yet I don't think Tainos would see themselves as Boricuas, but as Tainos (same ones in Quisqueya and Cuba).

Comment

Correct spelling of Bori?ua???

It is true what Idejesus said who knows how the tainos spell it. However lets think spanish for a moment if the tainos called the island Borinquen then we will be Boriquas because it will have to be spell with "q" to read the way it does NOT Borincen or Boricen. I think that the proper way was with "q" but the Spaniers changed it.
                      Then the island was called porto [italian word-because Colon was italian his last name was Colombo] rico meaning in spanish puerto {pier in english} rico and rico because they thought they will find gold and the island was rich.
                      But always remember that Boricua, ....qua or even Borikua means what the island was called first by the Tainos.
                      From my point of view Boricua means origen, indian, identity it does not matters how we spell it is how strong you feel about it and how you carry yourself as a Boricua!! Is the original mix with spaniers and africans, not what it was change to by (foreigners) immigrants.
                      Some call themselves Boricuas others puertorrique˝os none of this matter go with your heart and whether you feel that you are Boricua anyway you want to spell it or puertorican always represent!!!!!!!
                      100% bori that my heart beat means the drums played by african or indians and that when I really hear a drum I think of my Isla del Encanto.
                      Go with Bori and when someone ask you just pronounce it and don't spell the whole thing a real Bori will know what this means.
                      MDejesus, Bori hasta la muerte

[Edited by MDejesus on 2nd March 2001 at 23:47]

Comment

Boricua

In spanish, they spell it as "boricua". Tainos spell it as "boriqua". Whatever you feel is true to use, use it. No true puerto rican will be offended because both are the same. I hope this helped you out.
                        ~*~Ann~*~

Comment

What is the correct spelling of "Boriqua

Just to let you know the word "boricua" is not even in the dictionary, the right word is borinqueno, ( I don't have the symbol for above the n in my keyboard) it means from Puerto Rico. That boricua word is created by the same poeple who create "ruffo", "furnitura" and all that, in other words, created by people who dosen't open the books.

Ponce9

Comment

Also for the ones born in the Island, from the indians, africans or europeans they were called "Criollos" no boricua at all!

Comment

Boricua, ...qua or Borinqueno whatever make you happy!!

Ponce9
                              Hello I'm from Ponce, too. You are right is borinque"n"o from Borinquen for short is Boricua as a nickname or like I said before just say "Bori"!!! By the way the ones that started calling themselves Boricuas are the ones from the Island that belive in the Independent government and this is like "power" to the race which is nothing bad (you get what I am saying) not the one that are in the states making spanglish words as "rufo" etc like you mention before; the reason I tell you this is because I was raise in PR and NY and in the Island is either Puertorrique"n"o and others Boricua.
                              MDejesus La Poncena

Comment

Working...
                              X